You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-1-2023 08:00:21  #11

Re: Smith Corona Electra 120 letter "q" stuck on chattering "wack a mole".

Not fixed yet.

Update:
I was midst typing a letter and the "q" did this:

qqqqqqqqqquality

and a little while later, the "w" did this

awwwwwwwwwhile

but at least they didn't chatter on forever in the void between rest stop and platen

So. . . I guess I'll open up the SC Electra 120 and try cleaning and spraying and air jet blowing the linkage cog thing again.

Is there somewhere else in the "chain of linkages and gizmos" to follow?

Huge thanks for your help.

08-1-2023 09:21:06  #12

For a stubborn machine, I can easily use a quart of denatured alcohol and even small amounts of lacquer thinner (where needed)...just on one machine.

I would deep clean ALL the mechanisms from each key-top to the power roller.

Also, make sure the entire escapement area is thoroughly cleaned as well.

08-1-2023 14:10:00  #13

08-1-2023 16:14:39  #14

Congratulations!

08-1-2023 16:43:02  #15

One more than one occasion, I've done a deep clean, with the result of everything working properly - only to come back a day or two later and have something stick again.  Sometimes, it takes multiple cleanings (as well as a good deal of usage) to work out all the dirty little bugs...

09-1-2023 08:13:03  #16

I think the use of an air compressor to blow out the liquified gunk is important. 

When I was using air cans, I never blew enough air and a day or two later, type-slug levers and the escapement parts started getting sticky again.

09-1-2023 08:49:01  #17

Pete E. wrote:

I think the use of an air compressor to blow out the liquified gunk is important. 

When I was using air cans, I never blew enough air and a day or two later, type-slug levers and the escapement parts started getting sticky again.

good idea
I think in the future, I'll use my shop compressor and precision tip air gun more often.
I do examine the linkage joints, etc, with an "otoscope" (lighted tip digital screen magnifier, inexpensive one) and that helps a lot. I had no idea that even the smallest gunk bits, etc, could mess things up.

I guess the Electra 120 has more to go wrong than a SC Galaxie 12 or Deluxe which looks to my newbie brain, like the same machine in general.
Thanks again.
Mahalo

09-1-2023 21:21:54  #18

Kalani,

The Smith-Corona Galaxie 12, the Electra 120, and the Electra 220 are all common as they are part of the Series 6 machines made by S-C.

The Galaxie 12 is a manual typewriter and its "power space" key-top is accomplished with a spring mechanism.

The Electra 120 is the same machine, but with the addition of a motor and the power-roller to "drive" all the key-top levers.  Its space-bar and power space are driven electrically.  But the 1/2 space key-top is mechanical and will move the carriage 1/2 space even with power turned off to the machine. Some of the characters have power-repeat function, as well.  Carriage return on the Electra 120 is still fully manual.  Tabulator functions are manual.

The Electra 220 is the advanced Electra 120 but with the carriage return function fully electric-driven.  Its Tabulator functions are still manual.

Having both the 120 and the 220 in my home at the same time, recently...I gifted the 220 away as I like the "electro-mechanical" machines that still retain their manual CR lever as the 120 has.  I also did not like how harshly the power-return on the 220 banged around the carriage and it is driven, underneath, by a pinion-gear that is made of plastic and prone to breaking/fracturing.  And my 220 did not even have the 2-speed motor which, I understand, is even more harsh on the return drive components.

My 120 with its cursive-script will go to a family member this Spring at the next gathering.  But I like the 120 enough to seek out another with some standard script.

10-1-2023 09:45:25  #19

Pete E. wrote:

Kalani,

The Smith-Corona Galaxie 12, the Electra 120, and the Electra 220 are all common as they are part of the Series 6 machines made by S-C.

The Galaxie 12 is a manual typewriter and its "power space" key-top is accomplished with a spring mechanism.

The Electra 120 is the same machine, but with the addition of a motor and the power-roller to "drive" all the key-top levers.  Its space-bar and power space are driven electrically.  But the 1/2 space key-top is mechanical and will move the carriage 1/2 space even with power turned off to the machine. Some of the characters have power-repeat function, as well.  Carriage return on the Electra 120 is still fully manual.  Tabulator functions are manual.

The Electra 220 is the advanced Electra 120 but with the carriage return function fully electric-driven.  Its Tabulator functions are still manual.

Having both the 120 and the 220 in my home at the same time, recently...I gifted the 220 away as I like the "electro-mechanical" machines that still retain their manual CR lever as the 120 has.  I also did not like how harshly the power-return on the 220 banged around the carriage and it is driven, underneath, by a pinion-gear that is made of plastic and prone to breaking/fracturing.  And my 220 did not even have the 2-speed motor which, I understand, is even more harsh on the return drive components.

My 120 with its cursive-script will go to a family member this Spring at the next gathering.  But I like the 120 enough to seek out another with some standard script.

Huge thanks.
Fun to learn.
Is the SC 120 your favorite electric? Why?

aloha

10-1-2023 13:07:31  #20

My favorite electric is the SC Coronet.  It's essentially the same machine as the Electra 120, and produced over the same years, so I don't know what SC did to differentiate the two, marketing wise.  My Coronet was made in 1968, while my Electra 120 was made in 1965.

The difference is purely subjective - the Coronet seems quieter and marginally smoother than the Electra 120.  Of course, we're talking about a sample size of one in each case.  I like them both and chalk up the differences to individual machine variations.

Board footera