You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2023 14:15:09  #1

Time Capsule Machine...

This is not my machine...but one for sale on Etsy about a month ago. 

Asking price was $ 999 USD and it sold and shipped.  It was only 10 miles from my home...but the asking price kept me at home.

Nice to see such an un-used machine.

Note the original sales receipt...sold in 1959 for $ 126.79 and there was an older Royal involved in a trade-in.  Time-payments as well for the Balance Due.

09-1-2023 16:50:07  #2

Re: Time Capsule Machine...

This might be the original owner's obituary when he passed away in 2010 :

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/tricityherald/name/calvin-gentle-obituary?id=18653229

10-1-2023 18:56:25  #3

Corrosion in the basket...worth every bit of $50.

11-1-2023 09:01:35  #4

$ 127 USD back in 1959 would be equivalent to about $ 1300 now-days.  Quite a big purchase for some families in those days.

I remember back in the early 1960's. my Dad brought home a used machine from a repair shop.  It was a big black Royal.  We ate eggs for dinner many times a week while the payment coupons were paid off.

11-1-2023 13:15:12  #5

Pete E. wrote:

I remember back in the early 1960's. my Dad brought home a used machine from a repair shop.  It was a big black Royal.

That's curious wording.  I made me realize that we used to refer to things by the manufacturer rather than the model name.

My grandmother's typewriter was "The Royal", not the KHM.  My little portable in high school was "The Smith Corona".  Our TV set was "The Zenith".  Our car was "The Buick" or "The Oldsmobile".  We knew, for example, that the Buick was an Electra model, but never called it that.

Nowadays, your smart phone isn't called an Apple or a Samsung, it's an iPhone or a Galaxy.  A game console isn't a Sony or a Nintendo, it's a PS4 or a Wii.  You don't have a Toyota, you have a Corolla or a Prius.

I wonder when the shift happened, and why.  I also haven't had my coffee yet.

30-1-2023 11:32:13  #6

Wow, that’s a beauty. I haven’t seen too many of the blue, green or pink ones where the space bar matches the body color that well.

30-1-2023 11:34:14  #7

The color/condition of that original receipt is unreal too

Board footera