You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-1-2023 12:06:44  #1

Olivetti Linea 98 Repeat Spacer problem

Hello guys,

I have a problem with my Olivetti Linea 98 Repeat Spacer function. When I press Repeat spacer key only 1 space is advanced. I opened up bottom cover and I can see the repeat spacer mechanism. There is a gear and a fork to catch it. Fork is pulled onto the gear with a spring. When I press the key, the gear turns 1 character and catched by the fork. I tried removing the spring, so the fork can't catch the gear. Now the carriage advances but it is not like repeated spaces but more like a free release. So, there should be a spring there or is there some other adjustment?

13-1-2023 12:51:51  #2

Re: Olivetti Linea 98 Repeat Spacer problem

So, thinking again after writing this post, maybe this fork should somehow let it go and catch again so it is not like a free release. But how should it let go, by turning back and forth like the gear or move up and down?

14-1-2023 03:10:11  #3

Here is a video, the fork is catching the gear and not letting it go. What adjusment is needed?

https://youtube.com/shorts/E2xgB7Cknyo?feature=share

14-1-2023 03:12:44  #4

And another video showing if the fork is pressed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZhBiAlFofPc?feature=share

14-1-2023 05:19:44  #5

It is a long time since I worked on one of these, but my guess is that the 'fork' should not only go up and down but should also swing from side to side.  Perhaps the pivot on which it swings from side to side (next to the spring anchor) is seized and needs some light oil.  Sewing machine oil would be ideal.

14-1-2023 09:57:02  #6

thetypewriterman wrote:

It is a long time since I worked on one of these, but my guess is that the 'fork' should not only go up and down but should also swing from side to side.  Perhaps the pivot on which it swings from side to side (next to the spring anchor) is seized and needs some light oil.  Sewing machine oil would be ideal.

thank you very much for looking into it, I think you might be right, I have seen a photo of someone else's typewriter on the internet and the for was rotated a bit. Either it should move back and forth like you say or I just need to rotate it a little bit so it causes some friction on the gear but doesn't cause it to stop.

15-1-2023 20:33:12  #7

Ozkaya, let us know how you do with this problem. I have one of these machines and can look into the mechanism for you.
--Steve

16-1-2023 01:43:28  #8

thetypewriterman wrote:

Emerson wrote:

Ozkaya, let us know how you do with this problem. I have one of these machines and can look into the mechanism for you.
--Steve

Many thanks to @thetypewriterman , now it works like a clock! The fork was indeed really seized up, and I had to oil and massage it maybe 30 times but it eventually loosened up and now it grabs and lets go the gear as it is supposed to. Here is a video showing how it works now:

https://youtube.com/shorts/3WDIfc9-vDk?feature=share

16-1-2023 05:54:59  #9

Delighted to be of service 

Board footera