You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2023 19:01:34  #1

How to tighten loose carriage return lever on Smith Corona Electra 120

How do I tighten a loose carriage return lever on a Smith Corona Electra 120??

The left platen knob has a plastic piece over that and the carriage return lever base/where it is attached. Does that need to be removed? How?
This seems to be a common issue on Smith Corona electra's and Galaxies, etc.
Suggestions?

14-1-2023 19:28:18  #2

Re: How to tighten loose carriage return lever on Smith Corona Electra 120

2 screws to take off the front plastic piece, then the rear section pivots out of the way.
But, what next to tighten up the carriage return lever?

15-1-2023 09:25:38  #3

Yes it pivots back, but beware the plastic is brittle with age and it can break...it happened to me.

15-1-2023 16:35:16  #4

Problem solved.
I tightened every screw I could get to and it's still a little loose but much better.
I'm not sure exactly what I did, but. . oh well, it's fixed.

The paper feed also is funky. It tears the top of the paper.
Looked it up on YouTube, Phoenix Typewriters, and Duane explans how to adjust the feed rollers (under the platen). Great video. Works.

The platen is hard as rock and slippery, so I'm sending it out to "J.J. Short" for new rubber.

Onward to more "newbie" typewriter "fixin'". . . . 

This machine is like new. It was used for just a little by a college guy then put in storage ever since. Well worth doing a complete service down to the innards. Types like the day it was new.

Thanks all.
k

16-1-2023 08:23:07  #5

Kalani,

You might try some of this Avery product as a backing-sheet to your typing paper.

Leave the peel-off backing on and have the clear plastic against your typing paper.  I cut it to the size on my flat-bed paper cutter.

After about a month, I toss away the sheet and grab a fresh one.  You can see all the imprint impressions on the plastic sheet when you toss it away.

With over 50 machines in my collection, I have yet to send out a platen for re-covering.

16-1-2023 08:35:12  #6

Avery sheets on order.
thanks

17-1-2023 15:16:54  #7

Kalani,

Did you figure out how to remove the left-side platen knob ?

I left mine on both machines as I did not want to break them.  Right side was easy with 2 set-screws...but I was thinking the left knob may need to be unscrew (maybe a reverse thread)..but was not brave enough to try with any real force and just left it alone.

24-1-2023 11:09:24  #8

Pete E. wrote:

Kalani,

Did you figure out how to remove the left-side platen knob ?

I left mine on both machines as I did not want to break them.  Right side was easy with 2 set-screws...but I was thinking the left knob may need to be unscrew (maybe a reverse thread)..but was not brave enough to try with any real force and just left it alone.

I didn't have enough courage and experience to remove the left knob assembly.  I was able to get at some loose items by swiveling the plastic out of the way after removing the front trim plastic piece surrounding the left knob assembly.  Fortunately that helped solve things.

Huge thanks for helping this newbie.
k

Board footera