You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2014 18:54:21  #11

Re: Help with Remington Standard model 5

When the carriage is moved all the way to the left, the cable in the back loosens up like in the first photo. When all the way to the left, it tightens until it can't move any more like in the second pic. But at this point the carriage is not over all the way (which is the problem) but the cable is all used up so I have no idea how it is supposed to move over any more.

Hope this makes sense.

27-7-2014 23:14:06  #12

The problem is a seized drawband drum. Follow the drawband to the round drum it's connected to and figure out why it isn't turning, but be careful, inside the drum is a powerful mainspring.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-7-2014 08:50:57  #13

Uwe wrote:

The problem is a seized drawband drum. Follow the drawband to the round drum it's connected to and figure out why it isn't turning, but be careful, inside the drum is a powerful mainspring.

It seems to be caught underneath the drum. Is it supposed to wrap around the drum or go directly into it? There also seems to be another cable that's the same kind that goes to something else. Is this true or is there only one cable/drawband like this?
It is very tight underneath and I'm afraid I'm going to break it or something.

Just curious how it happened. All I did when I took the machine out was move the carriage over.

Thank you!

28-7-2014 12:39:35  #14

If the drawband comes off the drum and gets caught between it and something else, it is possible the drawband can prevent it from turning. The drawband wraps around the outside surface of the drum, like you would see a rope going around a pulley.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-7-2014 13:18:59  #15

Uwe wrote:

If the drawband comes off the drum and gets caught between it and something else, it is possible the drawband can prevent it from turning. The drawband wraps around the outside surface of the drum, like you would see a rope going around a pulley.

Thanks! yep, that's definitely the problem.
Is the drawband the cord that is coming up in the back in my photos? Is that the only cord like that?

Also, how fragile is it? Is it OK to pull on it? (it is stuck behind the wheel somehow, and I just don't wannt to break it)

28-7-2014 15:52:27  #16

OK, I ended up undoing the tangle of the drawband, so that problem is fixed!
It will most likely sit as a display from now one, after I clean out some more of the surface rust and gunk. The other issues are over my head.

Thank you!

Board footera