You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2023 07:13:57  #1

New website discovery: Typetown

This site does not seem to be linked by typewriter bloggers etc. in any of the usual places I tend to check for links, but is well worth a perusal, especially for those interested in 20th century writers and their writing processes:

https://typetown.substack.com/

11-2-2023 09:22:45  #2

Re: New website discovery: Typetown

Beachycove wrote:

This site does not seem to be linked by typewriter bloggers etc. in any of the usual places I tend to check for links, but is well worth a perusal, especially for those interested in 20th century writers and their writing processes:

https://typetown.substack.com/

The site looks like it can't be read or perused until one gives and email first.

k

11-2-2023 11:39:21  #3

I've been following Type Town for a few months now. It's a fun newsletter with a variety of links & stories about people using typewriters. Not as rich as OZ Typewriter, but still a nice, light survey. 

Kalani wrote:

The site looks like it can't be read or perused until one gives and email first.

That's sort of how substack works: it's a web site for email newsletters that also get posted to the web so you can interact either way. 

But: You don't have to do that. If you go to the site, there's a little "No thanks" link near the bottom of the screen prompting you for email, which allows you to go right to the articles. Also, if you use an RSS reader to read blogs, you can do that without entering your email address. That's how I did it for a while.

11-2-2023 11:48:05  #4

robmck wrote:

I've been following Type Town for a few months now. It's a fun newsletter with a variety of links & stories about people using typewriters. Not as rich as OZ Typewriter, but still a nice, light survey. 

Kalani wrote:

That's sort of how substack works: it's a web site for email newsletters that also get posted to the web so you can interact either way. 

But: You don't have to do that. If you go to the site, there's a little "No thanks" link near the bottom of the screen prompting you for email, which allows you to go right to the articles. Also, if you use an RSS reader to read blogs, you can do that without entering your email address. That's how I did it for a while.

Didn't know that.
Thanks.
k

13-2-2023 20:30:56  #5

From the Blog, I read that Mr. Herb Permillion of the old California Typewriter shop and of movie-fame passed away late Dec. 2022.

He had finally closed up the shop in 2020 to enjoy his retirement.  Herb lost  his wife in July of that same year.

https://www.aheadegg.com/herb-permillion-berkeley-typewriter-repair-wizard-featured-in-acclaimed-documentary-dies-at-79.html

Board footera