You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2023 13:26:50  #1

Olympia Report de Luxe

Here is another of yesterday's finds: a 1979 Olympia Report de Luxe:

Curiously, this model also had a starring role in "You've Got Mail":

12-2-2023 13:57:44  #2

Re: Olympia Report de Luxe

Hi Jim,

Great find.  Is your machine made-in-Japan or made-in Germany ?  My all-white one is made in Germany.

12-2-2023 13:58:06  #3

Been using mine for many years. Used to do my school work & even wrote my finals on it. Also used it though job school for writing reports & typing out dictation I has taken by hand. Always served me well. Mine is a wide carriage model from 74. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

12-2-2023 19:31:06  #4

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Jim,

Great find.  Is your machine made-in-Japan or made-in Germany ?  My all-white one is made in Germany.

This one is made in Germany.  I know the Olympia "Reporter" was made by Nakajima in Japan, but this one is the "Report" (no -"er").

12-2-2023 19:56:39  #5

Thanks Jim...

I have the SEP model (Electric, made in Japan) with a manual CR lever.  Does have more of a Japanese-feel to it.

But its still an enjoyable machine to use. $ 19 and S&H from Shop Good Will.  NIce plastic travel case, too.

12-2-2023 20:27:12  #6

That's a nice one too, Pete.  These Olympias are growing on me.  All have been solid and well built so far.  Not quite my cup of tea aesthetics-wise - too utilitarian looking - but I'm slowly warming up to them.  

13-2-2023 12:28:10  #7

OregonJim wrote:

Not quite my cup of tea aesthetics-wise - too utilitarian looking ...

The personal Olympia electrics of the time were rather boxy, but still nicely executed. I believe all of mine are from Japan. On the other hand, the office electronic models from around the same period, like the REPORT Electronic are more stylish to my eye. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-2-2023 16:55:45  #8

Uwe wrote:

[..] the office electronic models from around the same period, like the REPORT Electronic are more stylish to my eye. 

Being a child of the sixties and growing up during the Space Race, I'm more drawn to the design of the Smith-Corona 6 series.  They look as though they would be at home on the set of Star Trek, or even Lost in Space.

14-2-2023 11:42:07  #9

Hi Jim,

For " utilitarian looking ", I think my early 1970's Citizen S4-U is the winner,

Surprisingly a very quick, solid, and precise electric and with a pretty mild power-return.

And it has the most robust and well-built case in my collection.

All-in, this one ran me $ 48 USD.

Board footera