You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-7-2014 15:19:31  #1

new to typewriters, underwood universal good starter?

hopefully in the correct forum but i am new to typewriters i would like a funtional pre war era(heard they are the best) found this one on ebay and it fits my budget was wondering what everyone thought....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1939-F-MODEL-UNDERWOOD-UNIVERSAL-PORTABLE-TYPEWRITER-WORKING-CONDITION-/321476342785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad97bb401
any input would be appreciated thank you 

29-7-2014 23:48:06  #2

Re: new to typewriters, underwood universal good starter?

You heard they are the best what, Underwood portable? The Underwood in the eBay auction you linked to is a good overall performer, and an example of the first generation of Typemasters with the sealed action frame. However, I prefer the previous generation Universal model for no other reason than its looks. If you want the top model that Underwood offered in the late '30s you should be looking for a Champion instead of the Universal. It had nicer paint and was quieter to type with.

Here's my '35 Universal:

And my '46 Universal for comparison:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-7-2014 09:40:24  #3

I like the look of that Underwood Universal, but the starting price would be too high for me. Unless no one else bids for it. Does the seller offer a chance for you to go and test it out and pick it up in person? Always a good sign if they offer this! Good luck in your search.

30-7-2014 11:48:33  #4

I'm agreeing with Uwe. I like the way the 35' universal looks. It has that old school vibe to it. But, choose what ever you to start out. I mainly have Royals untill I get more typewriters.

30-7-2014 17:53:22  #5

i heard that prewar any typewriter was better for collectability sorry should have been more clear, and yes i also thought the price was a little high but it looks like its in decent shape and id like my 1st typewriter to be functioning, i didnt see an option where you could test it out, thank you all for your input ill watch this typewriter and see where the bid is toward end of auction and watch a few others also thanks again

30-7-2014 23:32:27  #6

I wouldn't worry about collectability with these machines. There are so many of them around that pre- and post-war models don't really differ in in their resale value. For your first machine you should pick one out that you really like the appearance of and don't worry so much about when it was made. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-9-2014 20:49:24  #7

Hello. It has been a couple of months since your posts. Did you get the Underwood Universal? How was it?

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

Board footera