You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-4-2023 12:34:55  #11

Re: S-C 250 In-Coming...

Oooh. I think the robin's egg blue would be really nice with the orange logo and the greys.

03-4-2023 12:41:31  #12

Here's my 1970 Olympia Traveller in the blue.  It was the closest I could get to the blue on my SM7.

03-4-2023 15:22:17  #13

Pete E. wrote:

Weather was nice...so I was able to finish up the Smith-Corona 250.

Nice machine to use, and the power return is surprisingly mild even with its 2-speed motor set-up.

I am glad I added a new colour to the ribbon cover.

This one is a "keeper".

Looks great!
Definitely a "keeper".
Great job!
j

03-4-2023 18:55:01  #14

Looks like Smith-Corona might have had their factory version of the colour scheme, too...

This "beater" is running on eBay.

03-4-2023 20:04:21  #15

pete, what kind of paint did you use?
spray can?
what type?

j

03-4-2023 20:36:10  #16

Hi Jim,

I used Krylon "satin finish" spray paint.  Have on most of my projects.  Apply in 2-3 very light coats so I do not develop any runs.

This was Krylon's colour named Khaki...in their Fusion series of spray paint...good for metal, plastic, wood, etc.  I took my tan ribbon cover from my IBM Model D to the store with me and this was the closest match. 

My local True Value carries Krylon, Rust-oleum, and their in-house brand with lots of color choices and many in the satin finish.

The Lowe's and Home Depots do not carry much in satin finish...mostly flat or gloss.

03-4-2023 20:38:03  #17

Hobby Lobby is also a good place for spray paints in satin.

03-4-2023 21:40:33  #18

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Jim,

I used Krylon "satin finish" spray paint.  Have on most of my projects.  Apply in 2-3 very light coats so I do not develop any runs.

This was Krylon's colour named Khaki...in their Fusion series of spray paint...good for metal, plastic, wood, etc.  I took my tan ribbon cover from my IBM Model D to the store with me and this was the closest match. 

My local True Value carries Krylon, Rust-oleum, and their in-house brand with lots of color choices and many in the satin finish.

The Lowe's and Home Depots do not carry much in satin finish...mostly flat or gloss.

Thanks, Pete:
Do you clean up lst with lacquer thinner or TSP, then light sand, then primer, then paint?
Or. . .?
j

04-4-2023 08:44:27  #19

Hi Jim,

I just clean it with denatured alcohol (does not melt paint like lacquer thinner does).

After that, I just paint it, lightly, 2-3 times so as to avoid runs in the new paint. 

I will also paint the underside of the ribbon cover and if there are good felt pads in place, I will masking-tape over those before the new paint.

04-4-2023 10:20:00  #20

And if there are areas of paint removed to the metal, I use 100% latex caulk (with absolutely 0% silicone in it) to fill in those area.  If there is any silicone content to the caulking...it will not take the paint well and looks pretty crappy. 

It is hard to find caulking with no silicone...but my local paint stores seem to carry some inventory.

If the original finish has a texture to it, I will try to re-create that texture while the caulking is setting up and drying with dabbing with piece of dry sponge or even with wooden tooth pick or my dental pickss to add surface texture patters.  I have even raided my wife's stash of sewing fabric scraps if the textile has the right texture to dab over the caulking.  Raw silk is very good.  So is linen.

Let the caulking dry for 1-2 days, a very light sanding on the patched area(s), and repaint.

Board footera