You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-3-2023 11:43:14  #1

Post your typewriter work station/area here to help others.

Posting my typewriter work station/area to help others get ideas on organizing and setup.
But, it's a work in progress and things are always getting shifted around. What fun.

[url=https://i.postimg.cc/QxPdD9Pp/IMG-5935.jpg]
[/url]
I have a mini shop outside for stinky chemical washes, air compressor cleaning, etc.
This is one room on my ground floor for non stinky things. Also have a utility room/wash sink nearby.
k

26-3-2023 14:13:03  #2

Re: Post your typewriter work station/area here to help others.

You look better organised than me - and I repair typewriters for a living ! 

26-3-2023 19:04:37  #3

I like it! Thanks for posting Kalani. I was just thinking today as my office is smelling of paint and chemicals that I should get a potting bench or other workbench for outside for chemical cleaning and airing out this spring/summer. Also my office is getting cluttered with me now at 6 keeper machines. I will be retiring this summer and am going to need to reorganize my home office.

26-3-2023 19:06:06  #4

I’m especially liking your large lighted magnifying glass and indoor tool box.

27-3-2023 08:31:14  #5

These heavy duty "bus boy" tubs as used in restaurants is the latest greatest idea. (from spouse).
Get the one's with the ribs so various typewriters can sit an angle, thus no stress on the space bar.
They help keep the innard parts from the outer parts, etc. Each pair of tubs = one typer.

27-3-2023 10:56:10  #6

Magnetic parts trays, various sizes. Amazon.com. Inexpensive and priceless. Losing tiny screws is bad.

04-4-2023 10:28:55  #7

I do not have a dedicated typewriter work bench.

I pull our vehicles out of our garage, set up a stout folding table and a patio chair in the garage.

I set up my "bench" near the entry of the garage and left the big door open for light and ventilation.

My chemicals are on a shelf in the garage and so is my supply of cleaning towels and rags...which I wash and reuse often. 

I have a flat plastic storage bin with lid that holds my tools, etc.

If we had a 3-car garage, I think I would build a dedicated shop...but otherwise this set-up works for me.  It has served me well while working on my 53-54 machines and my wife's vintage sewing machines. 

Final adjustments are done in my office-hobby room once a machine is cleaned & serviced (and re-painted) out in the garage.

04-4-2023 14:04:07  #8

At the moment I also don't have a dedicated work bench; I have too many other repairs on the go that prevent me from monopolizing precious space just for typewriters.

The funny thing is that my preferred workspace for typewriters - during the summer - is a patio table in the backyard. I have all of my typewriter-specific tools in several cases that were used for repairing typewriters in the field, and everything else in one bin. It only takes a few minutes to set up the typewriter, tools, and chemicals in the backyard, then start up some good music, pour a drink, and begin the repair du jour. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2023 14:17:02  #9

multi purpose mini shop.
typewriter cleaning on rolling tables n bins

05-4-2023 07:10:36  #10

These are great. Much better than desk lamps and so forth, as far as lighting up typewriter innards.
DanForce Headlamp. USB Rechargeable LED Head Lamp. Ultra Bright CREE 1080 Lumen Head Flashlight 
Amazon.com. Link.

Board footera