You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-5-2023 13:34:59  #11

Re: UK-Made Olympia Monica S - In Coming...

Sounds like a nice machine! Great dust cover. I need to learn how to make those...

30-5-2023 15:21:41  #12

Hi Rob,

I start the process by making paper cut-outs (with white construction paper) to model the overall shape and hold it all together with blue painter's masking tape.  Usually 2 side pieces and one large rectangular piece which stretches from the bottom of the back panel all the way to the front of the frame in front of the space bar.  So my paper cut-outs are only 3 pieces total.

When I am happy with the template mock-up, my wife will take those cut-outs and make pattern templates on white cloth where she adds the appropriate added lengths for hems and seam allowances.

She will then use those pattern templates to cut out the cotton fabric we have chosen by pinning the white cloth templates to the cotton fabric and then cuts them out. 

Then she does her sewing magic.  She even lets me choose the color of sewing thread.

30-5-2023 22:38:02  #13

Cool process. Thanks for the description.

I had thought about going straight to the fabric patterns, but your technique sounds better - it makes the affordances for the seams, etc, a separate design step, and probably more easy to get consistent. 

Does she put a soft felt on the inside? (though, with cotton, perhaps that's unnecessary...)

31-5-2023 07:31:37  #14

Hi Rob,

No liner...just the cotton fabric. 

We pre-wash & dry the fabric so the shrinkage is dealt with up-front.

03-2-2024 20:06:47  #15

Had this machine on my desk for the past 2 days...decided to give it a little splash of colour before it went back on the display shelves...

Board footera