You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2023 09:45:48  #1

Underwood Finger Flite Champion vs Deluxe

Does anyone know what the differences are between the late (early 50s) Underwood Finger-Flite Champion (like this: 1951 Underwood Finger-Flite Champion on the Typewriter Database), and the mid 50s Underwood Deluxe (Miracle Tab) (like this: 1954 Underwood De Luxe on the Typewriter Database)? 

Looking at the TWDB, the only differences seem to be the paper support, paper table graphics & badge, arrangement of carriage controls, and cool two-tone color scheme (with smooth finish). Otherwise, they've the same feature set.

Perhaps, they are the same machine and the mid-50s Deluxe is just Underwood quietly transitioning from the post-war-Deco of the Finger-Flite to the more bulbous (and totally 50s looking) late-50s Deluxe (1956 Underwood De Luxe on the Typewriter Database).

22-7-2023 09:50:14  #2

Re: Underwood Finger Flite Champion vs Deluxe

Just stumbled on this article by Robert Messenger. It doesn't answer the question, but is interesting as always.

oz.Typewriter: Paul Artem Braginetz and the Poetry of Portable Typewriter Design (oztypewriter.blogspot.com)

22-7-2023 16:05:37  #3

I just spent a delightful 5 hours racing down the rabbit hole that is Robert Messenger's OZ Typewriter, researching these machines, gathering a list of typewriter designers and the machines they designed, and impulsively following tangents. What a wonderful resource and an excellent way to pass the time recovering from the frustrating cough I picked up on vacation.

It appears that the Finger-Flite was Braginetz's first design for Underwood. Judging from TWDB, the Finger-Flite Champion & Universal replaced the William Dobson-designed Champion & Universal from 1936. I don't have a Dobson Champion to compare to my Finger-Flite to tell if this is just a re-skinning (likely), or more substantial. 

The Deluxe was Braginetz's second design for Underwood, and judging by the TWDB, it replaced the Finger-Flite in 1953. I can't imagine them doing any significant changes under the hood. It looks like it's just a new ribbon cover and carriage. 

In the end, I think the difference comes down to one designer evolving a design, as well as showing, given the only 3-4 year run of each machine before Olivetti took over, some of Underwood's desperation to compete in the portable market in the 50s...

23-7-2023 07:51:46  #4

Rob,

The variable line spacer button in the middle of the left platen knob is provided on the later machines...like my 1957.

23-7-2023 07:52:26  #5

Sorry...my 1954 machine...

23-7-2023 09:35:09  #6

Well spotted. It looks like the Finger-Flite also has a variable spacer, but it works by pulling out the left carriage knob. That probably means that the platen is mounted differently (at least on the left).

Another difference I noticed playing around with my Finger-Flite last night was too obvious for me to notice staring at pictures online: it doesn't have a paper support at all. That's a nice addition that the Deluxe has...

I also notice that my Finger-Flite is missing the little knob that sticks out of the right side of the body in all these 50s machines. The hole in the body is there, but the part is gone. Is this the manual ribbon advance / reverse? It isn't listed in either the Finger-Flite or the Deluxe user manuals.

23-7-2023 13:22:16  #7

Hi Rob,

Even my original user-manual for my 1954-made machine does not mention this round knurled knob's function.

The knob has 2 motions.

Moving it front and back changes the ribbon spool drive-direction.

Turning the knob counter clock-wise (in either position) lets you manually wind-up the ribbon by hand. 

The knob cannot be turned clock-wise (in either position).

23-7-2023 13:52:50  #8

Thanks Pete! Pity mine is missing. Hopefully it's just a matter of the shaft and knob missing. I could probably conjure something up to replace that. 

23-7-2023 18:06:56  #9

hi Pete,

I don’t know much about underwoods but one just like yours in the photo caught my attention recently on shopgoodwill. I was planning to bid on it but time ran out beforei got back to looking at it. I had done a little research and found they aren’t the best typers or most reliable, but the colors and style checked some boxes for me. What are your thoughts on yours?

Pete E. wrote:

Rob,

The variable line spacer button in the middle of the left platen knob is provided on the later machines...like my 1957.

23-7-2023 19:21:31  #10

My machine came to me in really good shape and I am a bit disappointed with its typing action.

Seems like I am waiting for the type-slug to return before I can hit the next one.  I call it one of my slow typers.

I have gone through with a deep cleaning and light oilings along all the connections of the type-bar levers and links hoping it would speed up.  But no luck.

It is a very pretty machine, but probably one I would not buy, again.  I was not tempted to go after the other 2 colour-variations...based on my experience on my sole machine.

It is a birth-year typer for me...dating back to 1954.  I also refurb'd its case, as well, so I made a keep commitment to it.

Board footera