You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2015 16:15:30  #11

Re: What type of a collector are you?

Heh, maybe if I was in denial I would say I'm a casual collector, but as I'm at 40 typers now and the collection shows no signs of stopping I'm probably a serious collector.

23-5-2015 17:27:34  #12

I stumbled upon this site via the Fountain Pen Network.  I was there because I was on the apug.org (analog photography users' group) website.

I hope I don't get to be too serious a collector.  I don't have the space. 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-5-2015 21:33:09  #13

I'd probably consider myself a serious collector. Except I can't ever have more than 15 machines because I have to fit everything into my tiny 11x7 closet of a room. So my strategy is to just collect the ones I really, really want (which is hard becaue I want them all!)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-5-2015 08:41:40  #14

I probably would be a collector if I had the money and the space. That's why I started with a portable, so I don't need to set up a desk for it. When I'll manage to fix a nice permanent space for my Olympia I may start considering getting others.

24-5-2015 10:56:30  #15

Ha, ninive... I just went shopping for a thing to display typewriters on.  I still consider myself a casual collector.  I've got about 9 and I'm taking a break from looking at eBay because everytime I do I seem to find something that I can't pass up.  Mine are mostly portables.

Welcome to the board, btw.

24-5-2015 12:01:08  #16

Thanks. I'm a collector of various things (I could potentially start collecting anything) but most can be displayed on a shelf or kept in a drawer, while typewriters are big and heavy even when portable.
I just asked my father to bring me my mother's old Olivetti, which is a big one with a double carriage (one of those long ones, not so sure of the name) because I wanted to try it and the first thing he said was "Where are you going to keep it?"
I just wanted to play a bit with it, take some pictures and make him bring it back...

24-5-2015 13:10:08  #17

Sounds like a sensible idea! 

I think the question 'what kind of collector are you' feels like it's about a lot more than jsut numbers, though... Some people love fixing them, others don't want to; some want to write long works, others do visual art; some love the antiqueness and others again want newer, more workhorse machines. Some are interested in having, say, each year of a certain model or each typeface on a given model, or are searching out certain features, rarities, etc... 

I'd almost be more interested in hearing what people envisage for their collections - what direction we each feel we're going in, what's the impetus. 

Spazmelda, I'm with you - I have to stop even looking at eBay. I seem to veer between wanting to downsize and sell haf of them, wanting to keep the ones I've got and get them fixed up, and wanting more, more, more... Ultimately it's very much about writing on them. 

24-5-2015 13:18:24  #18

Yes, I like writing on them also. So, number 1 I want something that works reasonably well, without major repairs. I've done a few minor repairs and tune ups, and lots of cleaning, but that's about all I am capable of doing. Other than that, I seem to be just selecting things based on if they look 'cool' to me. I'd like to get a Hermes 3000 one of these days, but I don't want to pay for one in 'great' condition. I need to get a Remington, but I haven't seen one that speaks to me, at least not on that is reasonably priced. I'd also like to get a skyriter, since the one at the antique mall got away (didn't really get away, I just thought it was $25, went back and realized it was $125. Too expensive.)

But also, one of these days, I'd like to get a real beater (would have to be very cheap), fix it up and give it a custom paint job. Something really stunning, and not at all like the original finish.

Coming back to edit after my two recent purchases.  I think you can add me to the denial list.  Still, I'm casual.  Here is my casual collection:

Last edited by Spazmelda (26-5-2015 14:12:18)

08-6-2015 18:43:51  #19

Voted "interested" but no real plans to collect them.  Unlike Spazmelda's neatly stored collection, I'd have no place to put them! 

Have a big heavy standard, so maybe just a nice portable will be enough for me.

What I am interested in is the history of all the makes and manufacturers.  Woodstock?  I thought that was... Oh nevermind.  ; )

Last edited by BrianE (08-6-2015 18:47:04)

08-6-2015 19:40:30  #20

@Spaz That woodstock is one nice looking typewriter . How much was it?

Oh, and how much is resonably pricedfor a remington? I got two nice Remington Standard 10s that I wouldnt mind selling one...

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (08-6-2015 19:41:53)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera