You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-6-2015 20:15:57  #21

Re: What type of a collector are you?

That's a 1926 Woodstock.  It cleaned up very well.  it was $75 at a local antique mall, iirc.

19-6-2015 09:28:39  #22

KatLondon wrote:

Sounds like a sensible idea! 

I think the question 'what kind of collector are you' feels like it's about a lot more than jsut numbers, though... Some people love fixing them, others don't want to; some want to write long works, others do visual art; some love the antiqueness and others again want newer, more workhorse machines. Some are interested in having, say, each year of a certain model or each typeface on a given model, or are searching out certain features, rarities, etc...  

Honestly, I used to just take in anything that comes my way, regardless of what it was or how well it worked. Now that I've learned to repair typewriters, I'll buy complete junkers just for the joy of fixing them and getting them back into circulation. When I bought nine typewriters out of a hoarders place, I never intended on keeping any of them. What I wanted to do was rescue them, make them type again.

As for use, I use my typewriters practically every day. I'm no author, though. When I'm not using them I'm fixing them, and vice versa.

19-6-2015 10:17:22  #23

I like the shelving unit, Spazmelda! Where did you get it?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

26-2-2016 19:44:31  #24

I'd say I've owned between 600-1000 typewriters since 1981--though not all at once.  I've bought, sold, traded, rented, and just had a merry old time with these critters.  They don't have the category that describes me:  And that is SuperDynaWhoppinTypochondriasFreakus Typewriter Collector.  The typewriter bug has been gnawin" on my poor old carcass for 35 years now.  I got teeth marks on my belly button!!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera