You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-10-2023 13:33:55  #1

Alpina SK24 carriage won't hold on return and slides fully to the left

This may be beyond my skills to fix but just shopping for suggestions. Shipper says it was working fine when packed and wondering if maybe it was bumped causing such an issue as this.

- Be kind 

20-10-2023 16:11:40  #2

Re: Alpina SK24 carriage won't hold on return and slides fully to the left

Hi Mike,

1.  That part you ask about swinging freely on your machine...Mine does too on my AMC version of the typewriter.  When mine swings down, it seems like it is more to the center of my machine than your swinging part in your video.

2.  Providing these photos of the area on my AMC so you might see some relationships and the adjustment-travels on my adjusting screws & lock nuts.

Photos taken with my machine resting on its back-panel with the space-bar end pointing straight up.

Space-bar increments the carriage 1-sapce with each kit on the bar.  And all the letter/character key-tops, when stuck, result in the universal bar incrementing the carriage 1-space with each key-top strike.

20-10-2023 16:15:54  #3

Two more photos.

I will leave my machine out for a couple of days in case you need other info. or other photo views.

20-10-2023 17:40:40  #4

Thanks much for those photos. Nearest machine escapement among my herd that maybe I could refer to is an Optima Elite 3.

- Be kind 

20-10-2023 19:05:00  #5

Mike,

If you have not done so already, you might want to do a deep clean of the escapement area and its rail with lots of denatured alcohol and even some lacquer thinner (keeping the LT away from paint and rubber).

I would recommend that before moving on to mechanical adjustments,

If that area is gunked up with hardened oil and grease, that might just be your problem. Spring assisted dogs/pawls might just be frozen in place and cannot get into position fast enough.

My 1960 AMC really benefited from a good cleaning.

21-10-2023 14:09:30  #6

Easiest carriage I ever removed; 2 latches. The slide problem exhibits in the carriage when it is removed.  In fact the whole escapement is part of the carriage. I suspect some problem with that dangling paw that hangs in place, by gravity i think. I've twiddled a little with an adjustment stop but not sure what I'm doing so this unit will be a parts or repair machine for somebody. Any idea what these circled parts might be? Maybe something that engages with the case, which I don't have.

- Be kind 

21-10-2023 14:11:58  #7

"paw" meant pawl.
Also forgot to mention that I desgreased and cleaned. 

- Be kind 

21-10-2023 14:43:13  #8

Hi Mike,

That is too nice of a machine to give up on.  Do you have any local repair options near you ?

My AMC is probably one of my best "big" portable machines.  Never have any typing hic-ups, miss-hit letters, or extra spaces.

And its "hybrid" carriage lift (with only the weight of the platen going up/down) is unique.

BUT...if you do part it out, I would be interested in your space-bar.  Mine has some micro-cracks in its plastic.

The bottom of my AMC is a bit different that yours.  I think those metal braces must inter-connect with locking-latches at the bottom of you case to hold it rigidly while moving around with the case.

Mine has a different set-up than on your Alpine.  Even the 4 feet on my typewriter differ from your feet.

See below....

21-10-2023 14:58:42  #9

Mike,

I froze your video to see the adjustment point and how many exposed threads are visible on your machine.

If you look at mine...there are many more threads sticking up above their locking-nuts.

You might want to count and record how many exposed threads are there on your machines and maybe try my "settings" and see if that improves anything on your end with the flay-away carriage...

You can always go back to your original "settings" if mine do not improve things for you.

22-10-2023 06:20:22  #10

Pete thanks for that closeup. I'll try some adjustment matching those threads. As for the spacebar, this one has a sizable crack so you probably have a better one on your machine. 

This Alpina has a yellowed decal "Senior" which I saw on one another machine on TDB website. Your machine looks pristine in every shot I've seen I haven't really deep cleaned this one, just solvent on moving parts.

- Be kind 

Board footera