You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-11-2023 20:01:41  #11

Re: Scheidegger Princess

Shortly after this thread, a '53 Scheidegger Princess came up on ebay, which I got for £35 + £35 shipping, so I hit the buy button.

There are no badges anywhere on it except for a Scheidegger tag on the back. Not sure if the original badge fell off or if this particular one didn't have it.

Naturally, it's got a UK keyboard with the full complement of fractions. First time I've ever seen a % on a fraction key. As a tradeoff, it also doesn't have a 0 key, so I have to type numerals old-school.

I loaded up some paper and a fresh ribbon and everything works fine, though it as a typical amount of grime inside for the age. I'll report in when I've got it all cleaned up.

28-11-2023 11:14:59  #12

HI Rob,

Congratulations !  Nice looking machine.  Let us know how you like her when she cleans up.

Gotta love that case/lid as well.

BTW...I think the Scheidegger name-badge was a "water-slide" decal.  You can sort of see its edges on the photo, below, if you zoom in on it...

I think if there was a "Princess 300" badge, you would see remanents of glue, etc. on the ribbon cover.  Plus I think your colour scheme is not typical in the Princess 300 offerings.

28-11-2023 14:54:50  #13

Thanks for the research, Pete! It makes sense that it had a water decal that's been washed off.

17-12-2023 08:19:00  #14

Looks like I will be joining the Princess-Matic club, as well.  Mine has a bit different style of water-slide decal.

This one with its user guides and nice case will be coming from the UK and should be here in Idaho just after Christmas.

This one, too, screams... " Welcome To The World Of Fractions "...

All in, mine set me back $ 108 USD.

17-12-2023 08:20:35  #15

Curious bit of info. on this placard, as well...

17-12-2023 09:12:40  #16

Luckily the "return it to the Company" point was not remembered

I hope the machine will arrive safe and I am looking forward to read your opinion about it.

17-12-2023 10:11:44  #17

Now I have visions of a pair of tall & muscular "repossession men" knocking on your door if the machine was not returned....????

But seriously...I do wonder if Scheidegger had both a "purchase" option and a "rental" option for customers on a tighter budget ?  Maybe the latter were young folks trying to gain a skill so they could find an office job...

26-12-2023 17:09:15  #18

Machine arrived from the UK, today.  Seller was very fast to ship and packaged it well for protection.

It was in the high 20* F's when it arrived, so the machine is very cold.  Brought it inside to acclimatize.

All machine functions work well.  Machine and case just need a deep cleaning and service.  The case has zero cuts & nicks and should clean and polish up well.  Rubber feet on the case bottom-plate are in excellent shape as well.

I am glad I scored this Princess-Matic.  It is well build, solid, and responsive.  And the touch-control actually makes a difference in its adjustment-range.

More photos once it spends a day or two my my garage-spa.

27-12-2023 00:17:20  #19

Very nice condition machine! 

I finished reassembling mine today after cleaning.

It didn't need any adjustments; just a cleaning, and replacing the foam sound proofing.

Though, as I was taking these photos I notice my Tab key rides a little lower than the rest of the keys, and the Scheidegger K&K machines on TWDB. I'll ust leave it. I notice, Pete, that your tab key is the inverse colors of all the other Scheidegger machines: yours is red on white instead of white on red.

The paint on the body had been touched up at some point in time, though they didn't get an accurate match. This, plus the paint having some scratches, and the lack of labels make it a candidate for repainting.

Below is the label from my case. It looks like they had the option to purchase the typewriters in the year this was made (1953 by the TWDB, but I'd seen articles elsewhere that K&K didn't start making machines for Scheidegger until later).

27-12-2023 08:50:30  #20

Hi Rob,

Yours looks great !

I think I will work in my heated garage today and start the big clean-up.  Mine is full of eraser-dust.

My SN is 442462,,,which seems to come from 1954.  It is my 2nd. birth-year typewriter in my collection.

My Tab key-top sits a bit lower than the surrounding keys.  I assume this was just by design.  But your key-top seems to sit even lower than mine.

I am tempted to re-paint my Tab key-top a red colour...do not mind loosing the TAB marking on it.  But will think upon this for a week or so.  I checked my parts stash...hoping to find an Olivetti Tab key-top...but I used the 2 which I had.

With the asking prices of Princess 300 machine lately...I am so glad to find the affordable alternative with the Princess-Matic variant. out of the UK.

Board footera