You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-12-2023 10:17:40  #1

Avanti pencil sharpener

For fans of pencil sharpeners, RobertG posted an article on the Avanti early 20th century sharpeners from Europe. They look quite interesting, though I'll probably never find one here in Seattle...

Backspace does not erase: Avanti - these are fun contraptions (badonoer.blogspot.com)

01-12-2023 11:09:37  #2

Re: Avanti pencil sharpener

That has to be the most interesting pencil sharpener I've ever seen. I can see myself wasting a lot of pencils because watching those spinning blades in action could be addictive. I assume by the patent marks that it's of German origin, made between 1891 and 1945?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-12-2023 13:26:38  #3

I like that everything is exposed so you can see what's going on, twisting the pencil as you go.

- Be kind 

02-12-2023 10:27:52  #4

You would have to think that the top clamp holding the pencil is geared with the cutting blades so the pencil turns in unison and gets sharpened evenly. It seems like a very complicated solution compared to the single blade sharpeners that spin around the pencil point, which are what I grew up with.

I just took a look at eBay and was surprised by what these designs are selling for: even this well-used variant has a $250 USD starting price. I guess I won't be adding one of these to my desk anytime soon! 

And this one that is very similar to the OP's, which is missing the collection section is $129.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-12-2023 10:49:59  #5

>>You would have to think that the top clamp holding the pencil is geared with the cutting blades so the pencil turns in unison and gets sharpened evenly.<<

Ah. That is a complicated contraption if it also turns the pencil.  Like the term "complication" as in watch discussion.

- Be kind 

02-12-2023 17:56:17  #6

I'm making an assumption, but if you look at the three-blade American version of the design in the above photo, you can see a toothed gear on the pencil holder, which supports the idea. Also, what would be the point of a spinning-blade sharpener if you had to manually twist the pencil at the same time?  

02-12-2023 18:05:42  #7

Here is a view of the other side of the Avanti sharpener...from the Blog site :

03-12-2023 11:59:52  #8

Well, that answers the question, but now I'm wondering if there's a cover for those gears that is missing. Watching them operate would certainly add to the enjoyment of using the sharpener, but it's a dog's breakfast from an aesthetic point of view. 

06-12-2023 10:26:59  #9

Uwe,

Looks like there might have been a variant with a bit taller shroud...but still open along its top.

And even a photo of a different brand with similar features.

Board footera