You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-12-2023 14:44:53  #1

Typewriter bells compared

My happy holidays video for all. 20 typewriter bells identified with their makers.

I couldn't figure out how to post an audio file here so I made a youtube video. All but two are portables so I posted in this section. 3 minutes 15 seconds. Non-enthusiast's eyes (ears?) may glaze over. 

https://youtu.be/HLHjMQ9kgg0

- Be kind 

29-12-2023 15:18:42  #2

Re: Typewriter bells compared

Loved it.  Happy Holidays.

06-1-2024 13:22:57  #3

My sweetest & most melodic bell is on my 1959 Everest K2 manual typewriter (made in Italy).

It has a sustain that lasts through the entire CR cycle and even through 1-2 inches of typing the next line.

I thoroughly cleaned and serviced this K2...but purposely stayed away from the bell and its hammer action mechanism...as I was afraid I will end this charming bell sound and its sustain in the course of my service work.

06-1-2024 16:14:54  #4

Pete E. wrote:

My sweetest & most melodic bell is on my 1959 Everest K2 manual typewriter (made in Italy).

It has a sustain that lasts through the entire CR cycle and even through 1-2 inches of typing the next line.

I thoroughly cleaned and serviced this K2...but purposely stayed away from the bell and its hammer action mechanism...as I was afraid I will end this charming bell sound and its sustain in the course of my service work.

My Olympia SG3 rings loud and seems to go on forever. And the Olympic SM4 hangs a long time. I neglected including my Fact TP2s because both are a quiet and short clink. I guess I need to access and bend the hammer's wire a bit but was not able to reach it at a good angle from underneath and didn't have time to take things apart.

Thanks for checking out the bells video. Took some hours to make it and your comments make it worthwhile. 

- Be kind 

07-1-2024 03:42:28  #5

I generally find that the bell on the Olivetti Lettera 32 and its' relatives is pretty disappointing.  No matter what you do to adjust it, you never get a really loud and strident ring.  However, I did have a 1964 L32 on my bench yesterday, and improved the bell vastly by unscrewing the fixing screw and putting a small washer between the bell and the frame..  Sadly, you cannot do this with later versions.  The bell is rivetted to the frame at the factory !

08-1-2024 08:56:09  #6

Tom,

I find the same with the Series 5 Smith-Coronas...

I have 3 variants and no matter my adjustment efforts, I can only get them to go from "plunk" to "dink".  None ring with resonance.

Board footera