You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2024 04:13:47  #1

Cleaning

Hi,
I am trying to clean the surfaces of an Olympia Mod 8. The typewriter is completly corvered with a light layer which makes the black parts dull and the metal parts also a bit brownish. Like a thin layer was evaporated onto everything. According to my tests at a hidden part of the typewriter, its quite responsive to acetone but also cleans well with cotton especially if there is mild warmth applied. Rubbing alcohol doesnt work. As the machine consists of too many parts to clean them individually I seek for a better solution.
Is there an expert advice how to clean. Even letting it stay for a longer poeriod in a cleaning bath would be ok, but I dont want to do this before I have some better ideas than my guesswork now.

09-1-2024 04:39:36  #2

Re: Cleaning

That brown is almost certainly nicotine from the machine being in a smoky office for decades..  Start with a strong detergent, then progress to a mildly abrasive car polish on a soft cotton polishing cloth.  Keep clear of the decals, as this may remove them.  It will take you a long time,  You will see the brown coming off on the cloth.  Do it properly and you will have a 'piano finish'.  Acetone would be fine to use on the metal parts.

09-1-2024 05:23:39  #3

Thank you - Its exactly how the cloth looks like. So it will be a work of patience :D

10-1-2024 18:28:27  #4

Chris,

My go-to, all around cleaning solvent is denatured alcohol.  I do not worry about it around smooth paints and plastics.  But I will still do a test-patch under the machine or the inside surface of a removable cover.

For cleaning crinkle-paint on machines like the 1950's Smith Coronas, etc. I use a can of scrubbing bubbles and a soft white cotton rag or hand towel.

For stubborn work (like cleaning type-slugs, I will use lacquer thinner and acetone...but I have to be extremely careful to not get it near any painted surfaces and plastics and rubber.

11-1-2024 04:04:03  #5

A word of warning.  Here in the UK, some manufacturers add a small proportion of acetone to Methylated Spirits (our term for Denatured Alcohol) so it is no longer safe to assume that it will be OK with plastics.  It might be the same in other countries.

11-1-2024 05:14:24  #6

Good point, my mom always said, take good advices but don't forget to think - So I checked the ingredients or in this case use one where I know whats inside. Also a lot of detergents have high amounts of oxidizers so sometimes an old fashioned "full" (German term) detergent is better. That's what I used here. Warm water often helps a lot so yesterday just brushing parts with foam instantly turned the foam deep brown. Now all is shiny like a piano

Board footera