You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2024 23:57:08  #1

Remington 5 margin rack play

I recently cleaned up my '37 V-series Remington 5 portable. Everything's great except the margin rack has a lot of horizontal play in it, making the left margin very inconsistent. On the left, there's a fair amount of space between the margin rack supports and the line advance lever and the carriage lock lever. On the right, there's a little extra space there, too.

I could use shim washers to get everything lined up and working, but I've got to think the this isn't the way it was designed. How should it have been? The margin rack arms don't look bent, nor anything else amiss.

My RP1 & RP2s have essentially the same design and have a little play, but not at all like this (1/4" from extreme to extreme).

I looked around TWDB but didn't see any real closeups of the left of the carriage ends to see.

Thoughts?

22-1-2024 12:38:54  #2

Re: Remington 5 margin rack play

Nevermind. I took it apart again to get the diameter for a washer, and discovered that the washer that I had put on the line advance lever (seemed right at the time) was for the carriage lock lever / margin rack support. When I swapped those, the margin rack was perfect. 

I should have kept a little better notes when I took it apart in the first place. Also pays to not re-assemble a typewriter when I'm tired...

Board footera