You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2024 05:50:31  #1

Which suppliers for ink ribbons ?

Hello
Which suppliers for ink ribbons do you use ?
For standard ribbons (13mm) ?
And a side question: Which supplier for the Rooy portable 11mm (7/16) ?
Do not hesitate to put the links to the sites  ...

THANKS

12-3-2024 06:14:11  #2

Re: Which suppliers for ink ribbons ?

PS : I am in France, to enable more precise supplier advice...

12-3-2024 12:51:35  #3

With on-line ribbon sellers, I try to get them to tell me the material of the ribbon and the total length.

Some will not even reply to such questions.

Here in the States, we are lucky to have RibbonsUnlimited.com.

They offer cotton, nylon, and silk at varying prices and their ribbons are typically 18 yards in total length for 2" diameter spools.  Lots of colour options, too.

They do ship world-wide.

12-3-2024 13:49:59  #4

I know you typically use their silk. Have you tried the cotton and/or nylon from them?

12-3-2024 17:15:33  #5

For ribbons, especially the 11mm Rooy ribbons, try thetypewriterman.co.uk  Probably the nearest to you in France.

12-3-2024 18:02:28  #6

Hi John,

Cotton seemed to smear my paper with ink and coated the plastic card guides as well.  I am sure over time and use when the cotton looses some ink, that might solve itself...but I dumped it only after 1-2 weeks of use.  I still have it in a sealed baggie.  The letters did not seem crisp on paper, either.

Nylon is offered by Ribbons-Unlimited in a variety of colours which is fun.  But when I tried nylon several times, it seemed like dry/old ribbon print.  But I think I am spoiled by silk.

In the past 1-2 years, R-U really had some big prices increases for their up-changes for silk and if you want metal spools.  Not too long ago, silk was a $ 3 up-charge and metal spools was $ 7 extra...then $ 12.  Now a lot more for metal spools...at $ 30 a pair.

I think this year I will spring for a bulk roll from Baco if they are still around and offering black/red silk in bulk.

12-3-2024 18:23:17  #7

Oliver,

This vendor is in Nice, France and also sell on eBay.

https://bsietypewriters.com/collections/ribbons

I do not personally know anything about them...i.e. material of ribbons and lengths of ribbons, etc. 

13-3-2024 07:51:12  #8

Hello
Thank you for your numerous responses ...
I know bsietypewriters.com they sell on Amazon and it sucks !!!  I ordered some and it's really poor quality !  There are no eyelets and the trame is too big, it makes grids on the paper !
What's more, they don't respond to the message, even after a month well spent!
Well, OK, I really haven't had a good experience with them !

13-3-2024 07:52:21  #9

And also, anyone knows zentypewriters.com ?

13-3-2024 13:09:55  #10

Pete E. wrote:

Hi John,

Cotton seemed to smear my paper with ink and coated the plastic card guides as well.  I am sure over time and use when the cotton looses some ink, that might solve itself...but I dumped it only after 1-2 weeks of use.  I still have it in a sealed baggie.  The letters did not seem crisp on paper, either.

Nylon is offered by Ribbons-Unlimited in a variety of colours which is fun.  But when I tried nylon several times, it seemed like dry/old ribbon print.  But I think I am spoiled by silk.

In the past 1-2 years, R-U really had some big prices increases for their up-changes for silk and if you want metal spools.  Not too long ago, silk was a $ 3 up-charge and metal spools was $ 7 extra...then $ 12.  Now a lot more for metal spools...at $ 30 a pair.

I think this year I will spring for a bulk roll from Baco if they are still around and offering black/red silk in bulk.

Thanks Pete,

Yeah, I did purchase a silk ribbon on plastic spools from them a while back which cost me well over $20 including shipping. While I thought it was slightly superior to the much, much cheaper nylon ones I buy in bulk from an EBay vendor, I didn’t feel it was worth that much more, at least on typewriters i’m not keeping for myself. I keep thinking I’ll go back to RU for silk ribbons just for the small number of machines in my personal use, but haven’t done that yet. I was curious about their cotton and nylon, so thanks for your input. I trust your opinion on that and all things typewriter. 

John

Board footera