You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2024 12:50:57  #1

Margin key on Rooy B44 keyboard

Hello
On the keyboard of a Rooy B44, there is a "Margin" key and It doesn't seem to be of much use...
And I would like to know what this button is for ?
Photo of the keyboard with the key circled :

15-3-2024 16:01:50  #2

Re: Margin key on Rooy B44 keyboard

Oliver,

Could that be a "margin release" button ?

16-3-2024 06:27:25  #3

Yes, but what margin does it free up ?  Because on manual margins, it has no effectiveness...

17-3-2024 13:07:32  #4

Oliver...on all of my machines, the M-R key-top releases both the right margin and the left margin simultaneously.  I type beyond the right margin stop mostly.

Have never needed to type (before) the left margin stop...but it is there if I need to.

You might have some linkage loose or not making the M-R function work on your Rooy machine.

On a few of my machine (forget which ones, now); the press of the M-R key-top also serves to "de-tangle" type-slug levers that may have become jammed together when typing too fast.

17-3-2024 17:41:31  #5

I have enlarged and lightened up your photo a bit.

The CR lever shape of a big, fat tongue-depressor might be a key...

17-3-2024 17:43:50  #6

Sorry...posted my reply, above, to the wrong discussion thread...

20-3-2024 06:38:57  #7

Pete E. wrote:

Sorry...posted my reply, above, to the wrong discussion thread...

It's not serious for the bad post !
For the rest, I will instead use this subject, which seems more advanced in the answers: https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=34054

PS: How did you improve and brighten the image ?

20-3-2024 14:55:58  #8

Oliver...we use Linux Mint as our Operating System on our computers.

Linux has loads of "free" software including photo-editing software.  I use 2 applications :  Fotoxx and Pinta.

I think in the MS World, you have similar...but maybe not free to download and use.

20-3-2024 20:58:16  #9

Hi Olivier

How about we get back to the original question of this thread. I have had to answer the question about what the Margin-Release (M-R) key does so many times, that I wrote up what I believe to be an understandable explanation of the M-R key function. See what you think:

The MR key gets many people confused as they don't understand its purpose. When you are typing on your computer, you select the page size from the list of pre-set sizes - letter, legal, A4, A5 and so on. Then you set or select the margins on the page and start typing. If you type a word that's going to go over the margin, the word wraps round to the next line down and you keep typing. When you've finished, you save and send to print, job complete.

On a manual typewriter, the page size is set by the piece of paper you insert into the machine, we'll use standard 8½" x 11" letter size for now. You've set the paper guide to zero, the left margin to 10 and the right margin to 75 on a pica (10 CPI) machine and you're typing happily away, then you hear a bell go ding. This bell tells you that you are only a few spaces (usually 4 to 8 depending on the machine) from the right margin.

Because a typewriter can't word-wrap, you have to be constantly thinking a sentence ahead of what you're typing. If you've just started typing a long word when you hear the bell, you know you only have a few spaces left before you hit the right margin and the machine locks up, so you'll have to hyphenate the word at a suitable point and type the rest of the word on the next line.

Some words however must not be hyphenated, the word that comes to mind is "therapist". If you've just started typing that word and you hear the line end warning bell a you type the letter 'T', do you hyphenate to The- rapist, or Thera- pist, neither of which are acceptable. Instead, you type Therapi and the typewriter locks up. Now you press the MR (margin release) key once and finish the word before returning for the next line.

The MR key can also be used if you want to put point numbers in the left margin. Return the carriage to the left margin, press and hold the MR key and move the carriage a little further to the right to where you want to type the point number. Hope this makes sense to you,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

21-3-2024 07:05:10  #10

Thank you for your answers .
This is very well explained skywatcher, it is very useful.

Merci pour vos réponses .
Cela est très bien expliqué skywatcher, c'est très utile.

Board footera