You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-3-2024 22:50:11  #1

Hermes Baby main spring

While cleaning my '39 Hermes Baby, I accidentally let out all the tension of the main spring. Now, when I try to wind it, it doesn't catch and just spins without adding tension. There is a point in turning it in which there is some resistance, but it goes past that and freewheels around to the next turn.

My first thought was to remove it so I can see what's going on. I'm not clear on how best to remove it, though. It looks like it's got a pin through its axle holding it on. There's no screw slot in it, so it's not meant for screwdrivers. So, before I take a hammer and punch to it, I thought I'd ask if others have a more elegant way to handle the situation. 

Thanks!

23-3-2024 11:56:04  #2

Re: Hermes Baby main spring

Hi Rob,

Ted Munk does have a Typewriter Bible for the Hermes Baby and Rocket machines...but I think his info. goes back only to the '54 time frame.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/ted-munk/the-hermes-baby-and-rocket-typewriter-repair-bible/paperback/product-1gqv4zg4.html?q=&page=1&pageSize=4

23-3-2024 12:28:29  #3

I have the Repair Bible, but it's for the latter Babys. According to the manual, the main spring has a simple screw. There's even a notch in the frame to easily remove it.

Not so on my '39. I had to remove the carriage fulcrum screws to lift the whole thing up or off the frame enough to get access. And it's got this unusual post and pin-like thing on it.

Otherwise, though, the manual has been pretty close to my machine - as much as to be expected from 25 years or so of evolution of the same model.

25-3-2024 14:35:45  #4

Turns out it was just a pin. Some Kroil, patience, and a careful rap with a hammer & pin punch got it out and on to the next problem.

Anyone know how to crack open the main spring? I was hoping this was the sort that I could prize open, reattach the end of the spring, and put it back together. Doesn't look so easy on this one. I might be shopping for parts...

26-3-2024 12:53:52  #5

Hi Rob

Getting it apart would be the easy part, file or grind off the 4 tabs from one side or the other and the spring drum will come apart. The hard part would then be to get the drum to stay together once you've reassembled it as there will not be enough metal left on the tabs to swage over again. One alternative would be to take it to a clock maker/repair shop to see if they can give you any suggestions, or repair the spring/drum for you. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-3-2024 14:45:47  #6

Thanks Sky!

On putting it back together: what about using a center punch on the remainder of the tabs to smash them wider?

Really interesting idea bringing it to a clockmaker.

26-3-2024 19:55:40  #7

Hi Again Rob

If one were to file the sides off each tab so the remains of the tabs can slide through the slots, that might leave enough metal to stake with a center punch. My thinking about a clock maker comes from the fact that a typewriter uses a coiled spring to drive an escapement via a draw cord as opposed to the series of gears in a clock.

If you ever watch the British television program called "The Repair Shop", Steve Fletcher the horologist repairs all manner of clockwork toys as well as clocks and watches. The mainspring in a typewriter works on the exact same principal as the recoil spring in the starter of a small engine. You pull the cord out to start the engine and the spring pulls the cord back in again. The system on a typewriter is just a whole lot smaller.

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera