You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2024 12:14:51  #1

Looking for typewriter brands/models that fits my wish list. . .

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and interested in purchasing a vintage typewriter that meets certain requirements.

For those proficient in touch typing, can anyone suggest a vintage, reasonably-priced typewriter (cordless and/or electric) that unused fingers can comfortably be laid on home row when not typing, will not require too much finger pressure to press keys (so as to avoid hand strain), one that has accessible and good-quality replacement parts that are relatively inexpensive, and one that has longevity (made well and will not have small parts breaking down often, which would make it expensive to repair and unusable to me).

Perhaps such a typewriter is impossible to find, but if anyone has any thoughts on the typewriter brand/model that fits this wish list, I would appreciate your thoughts, so that I can look into the options provided here and see if I can locate one that is local to me! 

Another another typewriter (cordless and/or electric) I am looking for is a well-made (i.e., durable and does not have pieces that are easily broken), easy to type-on typewriter that is a suitable for a child (7+ years old) to LEARN to touch type on. Can anyone suggest any ones that come to mind (and any ones that should be avoided)?

30-4-2024 13:45:37  #2

Re: Looking for typewriter brands/models that fits my wish list. . .

Hi Ren

Good question. You will likely get many different answers as members here find that different machines fit different people. Your geographical location will influence what brands of typewriters are available to you. For a reliable portable typewriter with an easy touch for everyday use here in North America, I would suggest a 5- series Smith-Corona. There were lots of them made and many parts are interchangeable between the Clipper, Sterling and the Silent models should you need to have one repaired.

For a child with small hands, the first machine that comes to mind is the Olivetti Lettera-32. Again, lots of them made and quite easily serviceable. I would recommend looking for a machine from a reputable seller who cleans, services and reconditions the machines he/she sells. Hope this points you in the right direction, and feel free to ask lots more questions. Don't forget to add your location to your profile, city, state, county or province is close enough to give other members an idea of what will likely be available in your area. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

30-4-2024 14:50:47  #3

Thank you, skywatcher, for your reply! That is certainly helpful, and I appreciate the tip to find a vintage typewriter from a reputable seller who cleans, services, and reconditions the machines he/she sells. I appreciate it and I welcome any others' thoughts on which vintage portable typewriters I can, also, consider.

30-4-2024 15:12:13  #4

I found this typewriter (it has the 'Tower' brand name, but the description indicates it has the mechanics of a Smith-Corona Silent Super) and wondering thoughts on its price and quality as a vintage typewriter that I intend to use/type on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145748971957?itmmeta=01HWR9N982J87PVKHNHV9SEDRY

Thoughts?

30-4-2024 21:31:31  #5

Hi Ren,

You might want to reach out to some of these repair folks and/or shop listed in Michigan State on the web site, below.  You have to scroll down that web page to get to the USA - Michigan listings.

If you find a repair person or shop that sells repaired typewriters, it would be a good trip to visit them and get a few machines under your fingers.

Many times buying on-line and having a machine shipped can be risky if it is not package well and becomes damaged in the shipment process.  Seeing and buying in person helps sAave that risk and the cost of such shipping to your home.

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-repair.html

30-4-2024 21:50:03  #6

Ren,

The Tower "President" is a great machine.  Shipping from that eBay seller seems high and $ 80 is more in-line.  You might send them a message through eBay to see if that shipping price can be improved upon.

Sounds like a fully serviced machine...not sure why the seller would not have a return-policy...so the risk is on your end.

I have a "President" in my collection.  It is an easy-to-use machine that is responsive and a good quality machine (made by Smith-Corona for Sear, Roebuck & Co. under the "Tower" badge).

I paid $ 89 for mine with shipping but it needed a deep clean and service...which I did myself.  Got mine from Shop Goodwill on-line.

30-4-2024 22:19:18  #7

Hi Again Ren

The person selling the Tower President is renowned  for the quality of his workmanship. Spanghew has been collecting and reconditioning typewriters for over 40 years and knows what he is doing. If I could afford it, I would definitely buy one of his reconditioned units. I would almost go so far as to guarantee his workmanship after having shared many a conversation with him. If the machine stays within your price range, you will find it a joy to use and an outstanding start to your typewritten journey.

One thing to note about this unit are the OEM or OEM style ribbon spools, metal typewriter ribbon spools are no longer manufactured. New ½" typewriter ribbon is available in all sorts of colors, but always come wound onto one or a pair of plastic ribbon spools. Finding a machine like this with metal ribbon spools is like finding a vintage sports car that still has its original wire spoked wheel rims. New ribbon is easily wound onto the metal spools so the machine can be kept as close to original as possible.

It should be noted that these are just my thoughts of this eBay seller and the quality of the machines he sells. As Pete E says though, there are always other avenues to explore when looking for a good used typewriter. Hope this gives you some food for thought,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

01-5-2024 11:05:40  #8

Hi Once Again Ren

Pete had mentioned the shipping cost was a little high, shipping cost will depend on where abouts you are in the country. Just for interest, I plugged zip code 48105 which is somewhere in Anne Arbor, Michigan into the shipping calculator and shipping came back at $43.98 UPS Ground which seams quite reasonable. All the best,

Sky

01-5-2024 16:40:59  #9

Ren,

Another typewriter to keep an eye out for is a Smith-Corona Electra 120 or an Electra 110.

They are well-built and reliable.  The "120" has a 12" long platen (so you can type on business envelops) and the "110" is a smaller width at 10" platen length.

I like this model a lot.  It uses electricity to move the type-slugs to ribbon/paper...but it has a manual carriage return lever and other manual carriage functions which still gives the feel of a manual typewriter.

Machines that are 100% electric have a "power return" key-top and that return of the carriage to a new typing line can be a bit like a powered "battering ram" with many makes/models.

These electrics are easy for young kids to use as well...as the touch on the key-tops is very soft and easy to use if they do not have a lot of hand/finger strength, yet.

Here is a photo of my S-C Electra 120...which also has a nice cursive script for its font.

My machine was made in 1966.

01-5-2024 21:29:41  #10

Hi Pete

On a side note, that is a beautifully intense color on your type sample. What brand of ribbon are you using on that Electra 120? All the best,

Sky

Board footera