You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-9-2014 06:47:52  #11

Re: "Rheinmetall Borsig Kleinschreibmaschine" dating ?

Thanks for that. Yes, it seems to connect to be platen to make micro adjustments.
Part of the fun of machine typing for me is imperfection, so I will probably never really use the feature ;)

I really have to look for a more lightweight 60s or 70s model on ebay. The RB is somewhat heavy to move around the house, but I will not part with her soon.

Last edited by braunbart (07-9-2014 06:53:36)

07-9-2014 21:54:24  #12

braunbart wrote:

Part of the fun of machine typing for me is imperfection, so I will probably never really use the feature ;) 

It is often used for lining up type when filling in pre-printed forms; in such cases it's a useful feature and it would be very frustrating if your typewriter didn't have variable platen control.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-9-2014 11:25:02  #13

When I bought the machine, the right side platen knob turned/spinned freely without any function, but it does not appear to be broken. It is almost seamlessly attached.

I still cannot rotate the platen with it, only with the left side knob.
Is that normal ?

Last edited by braunbart (08-9-2014 11:29:35)

08-9-2014 11:58:47  #14

No, that isn't normal. Make a closer inspection of the knob; it possibly uses a set screw to secure it to the platen's shaft and that screw could either be loose or missing. Something is certainly wrong with it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-9-2014 08:47:32  #15

The right knob just does not seem mechanically connected.
None of the parts next to the knob seems to be in function with it.
That´s why it seems to be such a mystery to me.
The ratchet system is only on the left side.

Today, I broke of one of the screw heads you can see in the picture.
They seem very thin and a different format/slimness like we use to use today.
I never took the machine apart and would not want to, I just do not see the problem here.

Last edited by braunbart (09-9-2014 08:55:22)

09-9-2014 11:22:13  #16

Well, the knob is identical to the one on the left side, so it's original. If there isn't a set screw holding it onto the shaft, then I would check to see if there's a set screw holding the left platen knob in place. If there is then odds are the right knob was permanently attached to the shaft and would be used to pull the shaft out of the platen once the left side knob was removed. Maybe the plastic inside the knob is broken or worn and instead of gripping the shaft it's now free spinning on it. I would try to fix it as having a working right side platen knob is important to me (I'm right handed). I also think it's something that could be easily repaired if you're willing to try.

12-6-2019 02:43:59  #17

Hi Braunbart,

I just bought a similar machine yesterday. I see that you live in Germany - in that case the following link should be useful to you: https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Rheinmetall1930s.pdf 
It's in German so it will take a little effort on my part to understand it

Enjoy your beautiful machine!

Board footera