You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-7-2013 20:58:14  #11

Re: Sound Deadening

The carpet padding is available in different thicknesses. I've seen it as thin as 1/4".

The link I posted on the noise foam will sell it in smaller quantities than listed also. It still probably wouldn't be practical for only one or two machines. I bought enough to do a couple dozen to cut down on shipping cost.

Clark

31-7-2013 17:04:16  #12

Sorry Altefritz, that still isn't the same material.  The specification says that it is made with recycled fibre, wheras the stuff I've used is a thin closed cell foam.  However, I would say that this latest material looks promising and I'm sure it would do a reasonable job.  Problem always is, you'd have to buy yards of the stuff, when all you really want is a few inches !

31-7-2013 22:35:51  #13

Still not the same?  

Could you send me a link to the material you're talking about? I'd like to see if there's something exactly the same on my side of the pond. However, I agree that the other material might be a good alternative, and I don't mind buying a lot of it as I've got many machines that I would apply it too.

01-8-2013 16:55:57  #14

01-8-2013 19:31:38  #15

Many thanks. Now I know exactly what to look for. I have found a similar material here, but not as thick as 3 mm. No matter, I'll start by looking at the local store's laminate flooring section and see what they have. I had previously looked in the roofing department because they have felt-like materials there too, but none of it seemed like the right thing to be gluing inside a typewriter case. Even the felt that I linked to in a previous post would work well too I think; it certainly looks very similar to what was originally installed in my machines.

05-3-2014 10:03:02  #16

Sorry to re-active an old thread, but does anybody has tried with cork ? 

05-3-2014 16:06:17  #17

Some typewriter manufacturers used a thin cork (about 2 to 3mm) as sound-deadening on portables (Oliver springs to mind), so yes, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work !

05-3-2014 16:18:43  #18

Thanks for you reply. 
I was actually thinking about it, also to quiet electrical typewriters : I don't know what is cork behavior in regard to electricity, but I guess it could only be better in regard to felt...
And in any cases, maybe less prone to moisture in the long (or mid) run ?

Last edited by iMe (05-3-2014 16:19:32)

04-6-2014 11:38:47  #19

My Lettera 22 had a disgusting smell when it arrived. I sprayed the felt parts with kitchen anti-bacterial Dettox spray, and when that was dry, (by hairdryer) used antibacterial foot odour control spray on the felt too. It really toned down the stink to the point where I could actually sit and type! I have avoided ripping out the original felt stuff for fear I would never be able to find anything near as good. The underlay sounds great, and I'll try it out on my Silver Reed which is extremely noisy.

21-4-2015 17:52:17  #20

I'm thinking about getting "SilverStone 21-Inch x 15-Inch 4mm Thick 2-Piece Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Silent Foam SF01" on Amazon.

The thickness looks great, 4mm, but I'm worried about the other dimensions.

Board footera