You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-9-2014 10:24:56  #1


The Typed Page

No auto correct. No grammar check. No spellcheck. The typed page - as shown in this example from William S. Burroughs - is a wonderful thing. Drafts, edits, and typed again, over and over until you get it right. My desk is covered in paper that looks like this - the desk with just a computer that stores all writing in a digital world is just sterile in comparison.

 

19-9-2014 11:33:06  #2


Re: The Typed Page

There truly is something beautiful about that sheet of paper! I tutored graduate students in writing, and what I noted was that many are losing their ability to self-correct their own work. I think that is partly why I needed to go back to the typewriter. I do not wish to be ignorant in my own ability to write. Thank Uwe, for this nice piece here.


Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 
 

08-4-2016 18:11:51  #3


Re: The Typed Page

Yep, familiar.  Seen millions of 'em.


Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness
 

11-4-2016 23:49:58  #4


Re: The Typed Page

So lovely!

 

12-4-2016 09:00:19  #5


Re: The Typed Page

Thank you, Uwe, for posting this. As typing writers, we should always remind ourselves that this is the main purpose for why we collect and use typewriters.

~Joe

 

13-4-2016 18:53:31  #6


Re: The Typed Page

JoeV wrote:

Thank you, Uwe, for posting this. As typing writers...
~Joe

I sometimes think I can write English because I can compose (mainly) grammatical reports at work - which seems to be a strange and wonderful skill to many and gets me feeling all puffed up - but you and KatLondon are the real article because you both take common words and phrases and just changing a few letters open up paths never seen before. A typing writer! Wonderful. I aspire to be a typing writer - which captures everything about the reason one would want to own typewriters.

 


"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".
 

13-4-2016 23:07:59  #7


Re: The Typed Page

The letters look much crisper than anything I have achieved so far; was he using a carbon ribbon? Is that the benefit of them?

 

13-4-2016 23:23:15  #8


Re: The Typed Page

Nicole wrote:

The letters look much crisper than anything I have achieved so far; was he using a carbon ribbon? Is that the benefit of them?

It doesn't look like a carbon imprint to me (it's usually much darker - higher contrast). In fact, it looks like fairly standard quality to me, at least for a ribbon that still has lots of life left in it and was used on decent paper. What the type quality suggests to me is the use of good technique and a machine that's working properly; note how consistent the impressions are, amateur typists usually create lighter and darker characters on the page. Burroughs used a number of different models over the years, including an Olympia SG1, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the typewriter responsible for this example.

     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera