You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-10-2014 19:55:33  #1

Typebars bed

Hi, I"m new here, so forgive me if I did not know this. The rubber bed that the typebars on my Olympia SM-9 deluxe is mysteriously coming off. I just want to know whether or not this problem is common, and if it's an easy fix. If not, I know there is a repair shop near by. Thank you! -Z

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-10-2014 21:04:33  #2

Re: Typebars bed

Are you talking about the padding underneath the typebar heads, which they rest on when they're not being used? 

If you remove it, I doubt it'll affect the typewriter action. But it will make it noisier (typebar heads clattering on the typewriter frame and such). You can replace it if you need to. A strip of rubber or thick felt will do the job. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

02-10-2014 00:13:46  #3

I agree that it's not a drama, but I would make sure that something is there to cushion the bars when they fall.
As mentioned, I used a strip of thick felt once for this job, and it's fine, though probably will not last as long as rubber.
You may find suitable strips of rubber in a car detailing shop (window seals etc) and usually it's just a matter of bending the holding clips to keep it positioned.  Sometimes the rubber is glued, and if so, a couple of tiny dabs of rubber contact cement here and there will keep it in place - just don't go mad with the glue!

Last edited by beak (02-10-2014 00:14:27)

Sincerely,
beak.

02-10-2014 17:44:41  #4

Thank you so much for your help! I will be sure to fix it when I get the chance. Though is this problem common? I have two  other machines, a Royal 200 which I use a lot for homework and a Smith-Corona Silent-Super, and they do not have this problem. I was just curous. Thanks again, -Z

02-10-2014 21:56:02  #5

I can't think of a single machine in my collection, which includes six SM9s, with a delaminating slug rest, so I wouldn't consider it common. No matter, it's as easy a fix as you'll ever have to make on a typewriter, so consider yourself lucky if that's the only issue with your machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-10-2014 18:26:37  #6

Alright, well thank you for the information. I'm glad it's an easy fix, and I'm sure the heat from being in my grandparent's garage got to the old SM-9. But no matter, thanks for the help again!

11-10-2014 15:34:05  #7

*note: I took the SM-9 to the repair shop nearby, and the guy said that the residue on the bed, wasn't glue, but it was an old spill. My guess is either coffee or coke. But I cleaned it off and it's back to being perfect.

11-10-2014 19:51:24  #8

Glad it all worked out for you! I actually just noticed this rubber bed the other day

Board footera