You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-10-2014 17:14:57  #1

[Survey] How much power does your electric typewriter use?

Hello, I am writing a research paper on the energy use of electric/electronic typewriters.  Finding information on this subject is proving difficult, so I am surveying typewriter owners.  If you are willing to help me gather information, please post the following information about your electric/electronic typewriter:

1. Energy usage - either in watts, or give operating voltage and amperage (Ex: 120V 0.8A)
2. Model name of typewriter
3. Year of manufacture

Thank you for your participation!  If there is any interest, I am happy to report some of the results after my analysis is done!

04-10-2014 21:59:44  #2

Re: [Survey] How much power does your electric typewriter use?

1. 44w
2. Smith-Corona Portable Electric
3. 1960

1. 45w
2. Facit Model 1820
3. 1971

1. 42w
2. Olympia CE-R12
3. 1983

1. 115v 0.5A 60hz
2. IBM Model C
3. 1959

1. 115v 1.3A 60hz
2. IBM Model 72 Selectric
3. 1970

You will need to be careful when using the voltage and amp ratings taken off typewriter name plates as they do not match the power rating. For example, the Facit I listed above has a 45w rating on the machine, but also states that it's a 115v, 0.8A machine. This means the machine, in theory, should draw 92w and not 45w. The only explanation that I can think of to explain this is that the amp rating shown on the name plate is a peak value that accounts for the motor's inrush current.

I have a number of other electric machines - as above, none are electronic typewriters - but it might be a (long) while before I can get the information that you're after from them.

I am curious as to why this information is of any importance given how few of these machines must still be in regular use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-10-2014 18:19:46  #3

Re: [Survey] How much power does your electric typewriter use?

It is less about the current importance and more about looking at the trend over time.  I am looking at whether or not the energy use of electric and electronic typewriters changed over the time period they were developed and used. 

While I cannot comment on how many typewriters are still in regular use, I have been assured by my professor, native to Chile, that typewriters are still in high demand in many countries.  I am not sure just how high that means.

Thanks for your response, and I would appreciate any other information you get over time.  It seems this data will take a while to collect. 

Board footera