You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-10-2014 18:01:02  #1

Best sounding typewriters ?

Most of the world is about to be destroyed by an evil alien race, the Morlocks. You have been given the task of preserving the sound of 5 classic typewriters for future generations.

Your categories for choosing (don't need to answer all)

Quintessential :

Distinct :

Portable :

Non Portable :

misc / category :

What are your choices for the best sounding typewriters ?

Last edited by Vintage (13-10-2014 18:02:55)

14-10-2014 08:11:53  #2

Re: Best sounding typewriters ?

This might be the toughest question(s) ever asked here. I like it, but it requires a lot of thought. Worth noting is that two identical models can sound different from each other if one has a rock-hard platen and the other a more absorbing one, or even if the action in one is well tuned and performing at its peak while another is dirty and has less than optimal hammer velocity. There are probably other factors as well, such as the sound deadening material having been removed from machine but not the other. Even a loose ribbon cover or case missing a screw or two can impact the sound a machine makes. And what about the listening device? Someone with compromised hearing abiliites - say a diminished perception of high frequency sound - might hear a machine differently.

One thing is certain: some machines do produce distinctive sounds, something that I'm more aware of when using a machine, but is more difficult to recall when not. I switch up the typewriter I'm using on a daily basis and will start paying more attention to their sounds and see if I can't contribute my own answers to those questions. In the meantime I'll be curious to see which models others will nominate for those categories.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera