You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-5-2016 04:05:43  #11

Re: How to know when you've reached the last line?

I know I've reached the end when the paper falls off the platen. 

Srsly, though, you can kind of get the sense of it. If it was something important pr particular Id do the pencil thing...

05-5-2016 05:17:47  #12

KatLondon wrote:

I know I've reached the end when the paper falls off the platen.

I've noticed that happens when I have some incredibly important insight which cannot get through my fingers to the paper fast enough. Doesn't actually fall out but the final warning is the paper slips. Oops.  If I think about it I just measure the typed sheet against a blank sheet when I get near the bottom of the page.

I thought of a mechanical vertical margin that would ring a bell in analogy to the horizontal margin. I'm certain such a thing could have been designed and that if it occurred to me it must have occurred to typewriter designers, so I imagine the reason that we have never seen such a thing is that it would have been just too mechanically complex and add just too much manufacturing expense. Though it would seem in place on a machine like the Hermes ambassador which from photos I have seen is a no-holds barred monster with every value added mechanism they could think of crammed in! 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

05-5-2016 10:38:27  #13

Yes, the sudden slip in the middle of the crucial sentence - that's the one! 

05-5-2016 11:44:57  #14

Repartee wrote:

I thought of a mechanical vertical margin... I'm certain such a thing could have been designed...

It was. Posts #6 to 8.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-5-2016 17:42:21  #15

Uwe wrote:

Repartee wrote:

I thought of a mechanical vertical margin... I'm certain such a thing could have been designed...

It was. Posts #6 to 8.

Well, that's one design! When I first saw the backing sheet I had some rude ideas of what the audible warning would be like - something about air trapped between layers of the sheet and suddenly expelled.

But this is not mechanically complex enough for my taste. I had in mind some internal mechanism which would have a setting for how many vertical inches of text you wanted before the bell sounded, some way to register the start of a new page, and after that through the miracles of analog computation it would measure off an appropriate number of platen rotations and ring the bell. If the IBM Selectric can achieve its complex ball dance with all mechanical linkage downstream of the motor such a thing would be trivial for the experienced mechanical designer.

I am going to have to do my own patent search...

07-5-2016 16:25:03  #16

Repartee wrote:

Uwe wrote:

Repartee wrote:

It was. Posts #6 to 8.

Well, that's one design! When I first saw the backing sheet I had some rude ideas of what the audible warning would be like - something about air trapped between layers of the sheet and suddenly expelled.

But this is not mechanically complex enough for my taste. I had in mind some internal mechanism which would have a setting for how many vertical inches of text you wanted before the bell sounded, some way to register the start of a new page, and after that through the miracles of analog computation it would measure off an appropriate number of platen rotations and ring the bell. If the IBM Selectric can achieve its complex ball dance with all mechanical linkage downstream of the motor such a thing would be trivial for the experienced mechanical designer.

I am going to have to do my own patent search...

Something about air trapped between layers of the sheet and uddenly expelled.  Sounds like the "Bi-Labial Fricative" principle.  If you wanted to, you could devise a system to where the closer the writing lines get to the bottom of the sheet, the higher pitch the sound could be.  And after a point, a light could come on.  Well, just a thought.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-5-2016 16:34:32  #17

Just realized this was an old post.  It was a fun, fanciful idea and I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

08-5-2016 16:16:04  #18

TypewriterKing wrote:

Just realized this was an old post. It was a fun, fanciful idea and I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

Heck, it wasn't that old!

I believe you were referring to aeroelastic flutter. 

08-5-2016 16:19:03  #19

I might have been.  But whatever it is, it is most often associated with the sound of relief   

Board footera