You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2016 00:45:21  #71

Re: SG Owners Club

... also if you decide to open an Ebay case, attached the photos of the damage to the case along with details.

27-5-2016 05:00:46  #72

Gary wrote:

Sigh.  Just received a nice dark green SG1, only to find it poorly packed, and suffering a dented frame just in front of the space bar.  Now the space bar can't move,  I hope to try to pry it back in place.  Especially bummed because I gave the guy shipping instructions and he just tossed it in a big, thin box with some peanuts.

I have had 4 SG-1's shipped to me, and this happened to two of them - so you could say this is a chronic SG-1 shipping syndrome. The two that got damaged would not seem negligently packed to the casual observer but the shipper failed to fully immobilize the machine inside the carton, so when the massive steel frame and heavy carriage wound up resting on the front of the non-structural shell the result was predictable. 

The good news is this is not too difficult to repair.  First one I knocked back into shape in situ with a rubber mallet. Since then I've learned getting the body off is not too difficult and the second is waiting in line for this more elegant approach. They will never be cosmetically the same machines but both will be serviceable. I received substantial discounts from the sellers when I showed them the damage, so end of the day I am just about whole.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

27-5-2016 06:48:48  #73

Sorry to hear about the SG1 damage - but take heart in the fact that the machine can be repaired rather easily.  Not so with the shattered and bent shambles that arrived from Germany for me a couple of years back.

Who (who in their right mind, that is) would, after polite and detailed discussion about how to pack, send an SG1 half way round the world in nothing but one Sellotaped layer of cardboard and two sheets of newspaper? Answer is, of course, multiple-choice:
A  -  Moron
B  -  Thoughtless ********* who gives not a damn about their buyer once they have their money.

Fortunately, Germans are not very familiar with foul language, and a natural inventiveness combined with some out-of-the-way idiomatic vocabulary supplied by a German work colleague had this twerp furious to the point of apoplexy.  Which was about as much as I could do to salve my wounds that time.

We live, and we learn.

And we type.

Sincerely,
beak.

27-5-2016 23:00:33  #74

I'm optimistic.  I appreciate your guidance and will try to straighten the old lovely out tomorrow,  I cheered myself up cleaning and oiling a '62 Alpina that arrived the same day, nicely packed.  Typed two letters on it.  Super fast and buttery smooth.

28-5-2016 02:06:09  #75

I lost a Royal Arrow to similar shipping damage.  I took pictures immediately upon receipt.  Got a full refund from the seller.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-6-2016 10:19:04  #76

Straightened the frame out pretty well with a scissors jack.  Cleaned and oiled it, and have only a slightly sticky "L" at this point.  Put in a new ribbon and hope to do a letter or two this afternoon.  Really well made.

03-6-2016 00:42:14  #77

Gary, good stuff! I get tense when bending frame areas.I hope you enjoy your SG-1. My go-to typewriter (Torpedo) is getting jealous of my attention with the beast. 

03-6-2016 16:52:50  #78

Gary wrote:

Straightened the frame out pretty well with a scissors jack....

With a what!!?? 

I am not familiar with that precision tool. Perhaps you could post a photo of it and the method of use. 

To be pedantic (no point in saying 'not to be pedantic' when that's exactly what I am going to be), I think you mean the body, not the frame. This machine has an extremely strong frame inside and by the time that got bent the rest of the typewriter would probably look like it had fallen off a building. Which it would have.

Disclaimer - I am stuck on late typewriter tyro, and if I had to play a bar scene I'd say "I could have been a journeyman". Move over, Brando.

05-6-2016 20:25:03  #79

SG-1 typefaces I currently own:

1) 11 CPI Senatorial 71 - "robot"
2) 12 CPI standard serif font - maybe courier
3) 12 CPI small caps or "radio mill"
4) 10 CPI standard serif font - maybe courier

We woke up in the kitchen saying... I don't know how it happened! What a thing is a typewriter - you have a 40 lb mass of metal and you have one font it only ever will produce for as long as that metal remains together as a typewriter. But we love them. Cute the non-standard typefaces are but given the usual question, if you could just keep one... I'd keep the standard pica courier and hide the elite courier and pretend I'd given it away. And if it really had to be one it might be the pica: I like dense type but that is the most legible and the most forgiving of less than perfect ribbons. 

06-6-2016 11:29:43  #80

Repartee wrote:

3) 12 CPI small caps or "radio mill" 

Its proper name is Double Gothic #30 and it's not a radio mill typeface. An Olympia typeface that would be more appropriate for telegraph or radio mill use would be the 10-pitch Capitals #95. If there's one typeface I'd love to have installed on an SG1 it would be the 17-pitch Manuscript, but I certainly won't be holding my breath expecting to ever find one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera