You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-10-2014 19:33:06  #1

1954 Royal HH

I just Picked up what appears to be a fully working copy of the Royal HH typwwriter and manual for $25. 

What do I need to know about this, this is my first standard typewriter.  

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

14-10-2014 19:45:02  #2

Re: 1954 Royal HH

This is a great machine. I used to own one months ago, but now I hardly remember anything useful aside from the really large button under the tab is the palm tab, if you havent already figured that out. It takes special Royal standard spools that are much larger than regular ones.

15-10-2014 10:59:56  #3

It's one of my favorites. I'd start by testing everything and see if there are any issues - and give it a good cleaning. After that there's nothing left but pure typing ecstasy and to post some pictures!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-10-2014 11:11:38  #4

It appears to be in full working condition, even if the typeface is a little worn from use.   It even has the royal backplate which is apparretnly rare.   I put it in my office and it gets a lot of attention due to it classic looks. The only thing I don't like about it is that the actual keys are on the small side, so I have to be careful in typing.   Will have to take some photos. 

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

27-11-2014 17:36:11  #5

When you say the typeface is worn, you're referring to the decals, right? Not the type slugs?

06-3-2016 19:58:52  #6

What you have is a machine that's built like a tank and will outlive your grandkids.  You could practically type underwater with it.  These things were built to last.  I have two, not counting the parts machines I haven't fixed yet (they are parts machines because 1. they were neglected for years, and  2. were cannibalized for parts.  Anyway, once rolling, these machines have good print, a good touch, and very long-lived.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-3-2016 21:29:41  #7

Yes, I too like my HH - lovely build quality and good to look at.  I don't like the lack of features, however.

Sincerely,
beak.

07-4-2016 19:10:03  #8

My theory, beak, is something in Capitalism at work.  As we typewriter collectors all love those neato-whizz-bang features, back in 1950's America (and I'm only guessing now, since I came into the world in the late 1960s), there were typists who were intimidated by what little they had to remember and use.  I just remember hearing about how older typists dealt with their office machinery.  I remember hearing stories about how they were introduced to electric typewriters--even the simple IBM Model A--and how they cried the first couple of days trying to learn that infernal thing that seemed to take off on its own.  Again, I just remember the old secretaries' tales.  

07-4-2016 19:43:33  #9

I remember the Royal HH  from the first newsroom I worked at in 1974 in Pennsylvania, which hadn't changed much from the 1930s. There were plug-in headsets for the dial phones that were mounted on the sides of the desk and they even had pneumatic tubes to send copy to the slot desk. Metal trash cans for the regular cigarette butt fires and it was not unheard of to have a bottle of booze rattling around in the bottom drawer.
Those were the days...

07-4-2016 21:45:05  #10

Oh my.  I was only six then, and high enough to reach that bottom drawer.  You'd have probably seen a near-empty booze bottle--and me running around trying to find something to wipe off my tongue!!

Board footera