You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2014 18:27:45  #1

Grinding SM-9 Carriage. Please help!

Ok, I have an even more urgent problem... The prize of my tiny collection, the one I use more than any other typewriter, my first ever typing machine when I was only 12, is broken. My Olympia SM-9 has a grinding sound, almost like scraping actually, when ever I return the carriage to the right. Going to the left is completely fine, the tab still works and it types just fine. But I have trouble returning it. Please help me on this one. I would have to wait a few weeks until I can go get it fixed professionally and I am running low on money. So I don't really feel like spending both money and time since I need it for school.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-10-2014 20:04:56  #2

Re: Grinding SM-9 Carriage. Please help!

I had a similar problem with my and I think part of the problem was that the chord on the bottom was coming off the escapement. If you turn it over, check that there is a white rope almost like a shoe lace that is in place around this wheel. Aside from that, does it keep happening when you depress the carriage release buttons?

26-10-2014 20:41:10  #3

yes, it does

26-10-2014 21:56:56  #4

I had a similar problem with my SM9 when I got it. The little pins that have to do with TAB setting were the culprits.  This caused a God-awful grinding sound when I pushed the carriage across.

http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/the-typewriter-collection-no-13-olympia.html

A Leatherman Wave, a screwdriver, and no clue as to what I was doing and the problem was solved.

Best of luck.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

27-10-2014 15:50:07  #5

I checked the tab pins, and they're fine. I was even using the tabs right before it broke. I was literally pushing the carriage back to start a new line as I was typing something and then the carriage made that horrible noise. I will try to look at what's wrong with it, but anymore suggestions I will greatly appreciate.

27-10-2014 20:54:42  #6

Did you try flipping the levers on the side os the carriage to reset the tabs? Does anying look bent or twisted or anything where the carriage meets the typewriter? Is the spacebar stuck or something? Wish I could be of more help. I'm just trying to think. I know that I heard this noise at one point before I brought my machine in for service. 

28-10-2014 18:26:47  #7

I reset the tabs, the space bar works, and everything looks fine. Does dirt and dust cause this to happen too?

28-10-2014 20:00:07  #8

It's actually more like a clicking/ticking and a squeaking now. But the carriage still doesn't move like butter.

15-11-2014 22:29:08  #9

This is just an update on the SM-9. So apparently what was causeing the grinding noise was wear on the teeth of the typewriter. I think that is what the repairman said, but I don't quite remember. So my beloved machine will eventually break and be rendered broken forever. So I will now have to decommission my SM-9...

16-11-2014 11:06:06  #10

Perhaps at some point in the future you could replace the parts of a machine that has already been cannibalized. I wish your SM-9 all the best!

Board footera