You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-7-2015 19:12:10  #11

Re: Do you get reactions from people that read your typewritten documents?

Only one so far.  In a letter to a fountain pen pal, I'd typed that... Well I bought a typewriter.

He's a colorful fellow.

"Layabout!  You're slacking off!  Soon, everyone will be typing letters and where with that leave us?  They'll stop teaching our children cursive in school!"

(I should mention he has a very sharp wit, but he's not kidding about teaching cursive.  That however, might get us off topic.)

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (07-7-2015 19:12:40)

07-7-2015 19:17:14  #12

Don't get me started on not teaching cursive. Grr.

I've benn doing pen palling with some non-typewriter people and they all seem to love it. At least they say they do...

07-7-2015 20:22:12  #13

Ha, they stoped teaching cursive in 2008!

-I have actually witnessed this, as Im still in school.-

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

07-7-2015 20:28:59  #14

My daughter, who is 12, had cursive in 3rd grade. I was really looking forward to my son learning. He has autism/asperger's which sometimes goes along with really bad handwriting/dysgraphia. I was hoping he'd get a fresh start with cursive and I could reinforce it with some extra practice at home. They quit teaching it the year he entered third grade, or maybe the year before, not sure. I tried to teach him myself, but after a week of it I decided I'd rather set my hair on fire. I don't even know if they teach keyboarding anymore.  I'll probably have to get my him dragon speak, lol.

Last edited by Spazmelda (07-7-2015 21:06:15)

08-7-2015 10:27:19  #15

Spazmelda wrote:

Don't get me started on not teaching cursive. Grr.

http://thehackjob.blogspot.ca/2013/03/who-2-blame.html

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-7-2015 20:01:01  #16

I said to my wife just tonight that there's no reason to use a fountain pen if you don't write cursive.  I don't think I've ever used a fountain pen for printing -- it seems to miss the whole point.

12-7-2015 07:00:58  #17

Spazmelda my boyfriend's 13yo son has autism and typewriters have been the making of him. Absolute instantaneous response. Mind you, he is not too bothered about spelling, mistakes, or even getting the carriage all the way back to the left margin! He just powers through.  

None of my kids were taught proper handwriting. It's a disgrace...

12-7-2015 07:39:34  #18

I was hoping he'd take to them Kat, but he doesn't really care too much for them.  He does like my electronic typewriter, and he really liked an old electric Olympia we saw at The Urban Legend Institute. He wanted me to buy it for him, but I don't think it would have held his interest, as he's only tapped out a few words on my electronic.  He hasn't shown any interest in the categorization, dates, etc... Which would be along the lines of something he might latch on to.  His special interests come and go, and when he's done with one, he is completely done.  Like sharks, he is done with sharks now. Completely. They used to be all he would talk about, and we were excited for Shark Week, but we haven't been able to get him to watch a single program on Shark Week, lol.  He's on to the computer game Sims right now. I will be glad when this one ends. I'm very tired of hearing about it.

12-7-2015 07:44:43  #19

Ha. Sharks are big in this house at the moment! But in his case, the obsessions get sort or rotated - so sharks will go and dinosaurs or The Shining will come back, and then at some point sharks will come back...  Sim City is great, because it's about thinking out how things actually work. My middle kid spent ages playing Civilization, which is the same. (I know this is off the typing and handwriting topic...)

19-7-2015 16:47:44  #20

My mother had to find a new doctor and they sent her pages of forms to fill out.  I used my Olympia Traveller C to fill in the blanks because there was so much to fill in.  When my mother handed the paperwork in to the office staff, that person said she had never seen forms filled out so beautifully and legible and was very impressed.

You can never have too many typewriters.

Board footera