You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-11-2014 22:50:12  #1

Miscellanious Questions

Ok, for someone who has been on this site for a while, and has 5 typewriters, I sure do have quite a few questions. First being how do I use the line meter? I have zero idea what is is, and it doesn't seem to affect my typing. Does it make things easier? Why is it only on the models from the 50's? Anyways, it would just be nice to know. And how can I tell the font of a typewriter? There are so many fonts and sizes that I can't know them all. Is there a standard font? What are the different sizes? Did you know what font you got when buying these machines new? Why am I asking so many questions? Anyways, I would just love to expand my knowledge on typewriters. Figured since I know more than my own mother does, I might as well be as close to an expert as I can.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-11-2014 22:58:26  #2

Re: Miscellanious Questions

Oh, and how do I add a picture? Even a profile picture at that? I know I sound rather unintelligent, but I am completely computer illiterate. Which is one of the reasons why I turnd to typewriters. And how common are cursive/script typewriters? I would like to add one to my collection to type letters and notes to my girlfriend (who for some reason stays with a complete geek...) because she writes in script. I can write print, let alone script, so a cursive writer would a wonderful addition.

14-11-2014 23:16:47  #3

Ok, last question. Should I buy typewriters without keys? It's too late for some machines and all of their keys are gon, but that machine itself is in great condition. You really can't type without keys, but they're really cheap and I want to gives these machines a second chance. 

15-11-2014 00:07:38  #4

ztyper wrote:

First being how do I use the line meter? ​

Do you mean a last line indicator, sometimes also called a page gauge? If so, which model machine do you need the instructions for? A number of manufacutrers had models with such a feature, but they varied in how they were used. Some were a part of the paper rest, some on the actual platen, and some even on the platen knob.

ztyper wrote:

And how can I tell the font of a typewriter? There are so many fonts and sizes that I can't know them all. ​

First off you need to start calling it a typeface, not font, which is terminology that has been twisted a little by the computer industry. There are reference books out there that list the typeface types that were used by each manufacturer, so those lists are very extrensive. Search the net for them; some people have included them in their blogs and websites, so they're not that difficult to find.

ztyper wrote:

Is there a standard font? What are the different sizes? Did you know what font you got when buying these machines new? ​

No. However, many machines use one of two typeface sizes, either Elite or Pica. Elite is the smaller of the two, and yes, buyers back in the day could often select the typeface they wanted when a manufactured offered more than one for a specific model. Typography is a rather large subject in itself and not one easily explained in a forum post. If you really want to learn more I'd suggest searching the web; there's enough reference material available to make your head spin.

ztyper wrote:

Oh, and how do I add a picture? Even a profile picture at that? 

Read the FAQ topic that is a sticky at the top of this sub-forum. Profile pictures (avatars) can be uploaded by clicking on "MY PROFILE" and then "AVATAR and SIGNATURES".

ztyper wrote:

And how common are cursive/script typewriters? 

They aren't common, but they're not rare either. I wouldn't pay an extra dime for a typewriter with a cursive typeface because for me they're less practical, but others charge the moon for them and manage to find buyers regardless. If you keep your eye open for them you might get lucky and find one that doesn't have a premium price attached to it.

ztyper wrote:

Should I buy typewriters without keys? 

If it's just the key missing, and not the key bar too, then I don't see why not. You can always have some fun and make your own if you wanted to and create a one of a kind machine in the process

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2014 00:28:31  #5

ztyper wrote:

Ok, last question. Should I buy typewriters without keys? It's too late for some machines and all of their keys are gon, but that machine itself is in great condition. You really can't type without keys, but they're really cheap and I want to gives these machines a second chance. 

Yes! Join the effort to preserve as many of these machines as you can :-)

15-11-2014 00:34:12  #6

Ok, I'll look online for a Royal 440 manual for the line meter. Thing. I think I have both an Elite and a Pica  typeface within my tiny collection. I'll keep a keen look out for script writers. And the typewriter I want has no keys at all. I'll attach a link. (whew! that was quite a bit...)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Royal-Aristocrat-Typewriter-for-Parts-Steampunk-Industrial/351219982845?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D0880082b0fc44f5cbcb66ceb5366b382%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D400807240097

15-11-2014 13:40:21  #7

ztyper, if you think you have both pica and elite typefaces in your collection and you want to know for sure, simply take a ruler and measure the number of tick marks in one inch on one of the scales that run along the platen. There might be a scale on the paper bail, under the front of the platen running near where the typeslug hits the paper, or along the back of the paper table for setting margins and tabs. Or even way up front, if you have a standard Underwood. Anyway, if you measure 10 ticks in that inch you have pica, if 12 characters per inch, you have elite. Some European typewriters have other measures; Olympia usually has 11 cpi, which I am guessing is either a metric standard or a compromise. Some special-purpose typewriters have other measures, like 8 cpi for making signs or 15 cpi for fitting a lot of material on a page, for filling out certain forms, or making labels.

Remember that pica and elite are terms that refer only to the horizontal spacing and have nothing to do with the design of the typeface, even when a manufacturer uses them to name a typeface.

15-11-2014 22:20:56  #8

ztyper wrote:

And the typewriter I want has no keys at all. I'll attach a link. (whew! that was quite a bit...)

I wouldn't buy that machine. $20 is too much, and it looks like you'd be rewarding a keychopper by buying it. Worse of all, I think - it's really hard to tell from those photos - that some of the keybars have been cut. It's a real shame to see an Aristocraft like that go to waste, but sometimes it's just not worth it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2014 22:36:39  #9

I too feel like that it's not worth it, but it just pains me to see a machine without any keys. And it appears to be in working order! Oh well, perhaps I'll leave it for another day.

Board footera