You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-11-2014 12:26:59  #1

getting my first manual typewriter

I am in the process of looking at a few typewriters to get and i need some advice
1) its an imperial portable they said its stamped with by appointment to late King George V
2) is a smith corona, they said its a star riter deluxe, its blue.
which one do you think would be good, they are both in good condition, though the smith and corona said two keys stick.

16-11-2014 15:34:41  #2

Re: getting my first manual typewriter

The "Star-Riter" is a pile of junk, one of those late model economy portables that were made in England. I don't know which Imperial model you're looking at, so it's difficult to comment on it. If it still has one of those 'appointment to' stickers then it should be a much older model and most likely a far better machine. Any way to post a photo or a link to the machine you're considering?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2014 17:17:34  #3

well ive going to look at a remington rand model 17, its cheap it needs some cleaning, but im thinking this might be the way to go. 

16-11-2014 18:56:15  #4

A Model 17 - in good condition - is a nice typewriter with a good type action. I would test it thoroughly though since the one in your photo looks to be in rough condition cosmetically. And since it's not a portable, but a standard typewriter, I've moved this topic to the Type Talk sub-forum.

Here's one of my Remington 17 machines:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2014 19:59:41  #5

yea it looks rough, but its really cheap, so if i buy it and it doesnt work out im not out hardly any money. but im not sure what i should be testing out. what should i be looking for? sorry im brand new to type writers

Board footera