You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2014 10:27:10  #1

Standard Recommendation

I have many portables (too many), and now I think it's time I start looking for a nice standard typewriter (and a good sturdy desk to put under it). I would love to hear your ideas on why your machine is The Best Standard Ever.

17-11-2014 11:14:11  #2

Re: Standard Recommendation

There are so many fantastic standards available, but of course like all of us your choice will probably be limited to the models you can find, which given their weight usually means what you can get locally. To narrow the list down, do you have a particiular design period that you're partial to? And since many manufacturers maintained styling cues between their portable and standard models, do you have a few favorite portables? You might find it appealing to get a standard that is the big cousin of your favorite portable.

For example, if you were really fond of the Remington Quiet-Riter you might want to add a Super-Riter to your collection to compliment it. Or, for a more modern take, if the Olympia SM9 was a favorite, an SG3 would look great beside it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-11-2014 13:54:23  #3

For design, I like anything from the 1930s through the 1960s, although my house is VERY midcentury in design, so perhaps 50s/60s would be best. 

Of the portables, I am very partial to my Olympias, especially the SM3, so I would imagine I'd like an SG, but I'm open to reports of fabulousness of all brands. I find it inspiring to listen to others rave about their favorites.

You are right that location is a thing, but I've got a fairly wide area to work in. I've got all of Northern New England covered, and my sister in northwest Florida would fetch a machine for me as well.

Last edited by JanetLand (17-11-2014 13:55:46)

17-11-2014 17:42:36  #4

I think that what you are looking for is a 1960's Hermes Ambassador !  Do not be put off by its' bulky appearance - this is Swiss engineering at its' best.  Very pleasant to use, with all sorts of neat touches, and so well thought-out.  There is even a tiny brush on the underside of the carriage to automatically brush any eraser crumbs out of the side each time the carriage is returned !  These machines were always much more expensive than other makes, so sold in relatively small numbers.  Folks haven't woken up to how good these typewriters are yet, so bag a bargain whilst you can !

17-11-2014 19:00:05  #5

thetypewriterman wrote:

I think that what you are looking for is a 1960's Hermes Ambassador !

I'd love to buy an Ambassador, but good luck trying to find one on this side of the Atlantic. I've never come across one for sale locally and I'm reluctant to risk having one shipped because of its size and weight.

Janet, if you're partial to the SM3 (good taste) then I'd wholeheartedly have to suggest the SG1 which would not only be easy to find, but would make a perfect book end, but I get and like the spirit of your request. It wll be interesting to see what other suggestions roll in.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-1-2015 11:40:13  #6

Well, I've found one way to narrow the choice down -- I've seen some Smith-Coronas (lovely) and Royals that will, however nice they type, bug the heck out of me because the backspace is on the left, and I like it on the right. An SG1 may be the way to go . . . .

06-1-2015 12:07:01  #7

JanetLand wrote:

bug the heck out of me because the backspace is on the left, and I like it on the right.

Isn't it incredible how such a small thing can mess you up when you're very familiar with a certain layout? I always find it a little jarring moving between two machines that have the backspace on opposite sides; sure, you do get used to fairly quickly, but it does make me wonder why there wasn't a standard for such things.

As a general rule, European machines had them on the right side, and American models on the left, but there were exceptions: some Olivetti standard models had a left side backspace, while others had them on the right. Most odd was that the standards built in Italy were lefties, and their Canadian made models righties. Go figure.  

07-1-2015 21:27:49  #8

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I think a nice Royal standard is what you need, something like a KMM, KMG, HH or FP. These were sold in very high numbers in the US, so I'll bet for every SG you find there will be 10 Royals. They're just that common. On these office machines, the backspace is on the left (where it belongs!). And of course, they are great for everyday use and were built solidly, which is why so many are left.

Although I would take my SG3 over my KMM any day, the Royal is probably my only machine that can compare in terms of type feel.

08-1-2015 20:26:52  #9

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I think a nice Royal standard is what you need, something like a KMM, KMG, HH or FP. These were sold in very high numbers in the US, so I'll bet for every SG you find there will be 10 Royals. They're just that common. On these office machines, the backspace is on the left (where it belongs!). And of course, they are great for everyday use and were built solidly, which is why so many are left.

Although I would take my SG3 over my KMM any day, the Royal is probably my only machine that can compare in terms of type feel.

True. I have seen about 8 standard Royals for sale locally in the last few months.

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

08-1-2015 21:15:17  #10

I would actually love to try a nice Royal standard machine. I have only come across two, one being not really a Royal and the other being completely broken. But they're common enough that you should be able to obtain one. Personally I'm for the SG, but really the best standard is the one that you can find. And it works.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera