You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2014 21:05:40  #1

Typewriter Hammers Not Hitting the Platen and Sticky Keys

I have an Olympia SM4.  I've used Denatured Alcohol and a Toothbrush to clean my typewriter but the keys are still sticking and some are not hitting the platen.  I've cleaned the typewriter almost ten or so times.  Do I have the ink ribbon in wrong?  What are your suggestions on how to fix this

Writer of Stories 

29-11-2014 21:36:15  #2

Re: Typewriter Hammers Not Hitting the Platen and Sticky Keys

Funny that you post this right after I spent the entire evening cleaning MY Olympia SM-4. Well, to answer your question, you're doing everything right. From what I know, this works. I had the same problem with my Royal 440. The keys were so sticky, they wouldn't move AT ALL. Just keep doing that. When ever you have a free minute, just go over it once with the alcohol. Do this a few times a day. Now, there could be something mechanically wrong with it, but it doesn't appear so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, for I am still an amateur at this. But so far, just be dilagent with it and it will work.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-11-2014 22:53:21  #3

Thank you ztyper.  I wasn't sure if the keys needed oiled.  I was told to use sewing machine oil.  I would say I've gone over the key hammers and their slots with Denatured Alcohol about ten times.  I put the ribbon in the way I saw it done in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWjkD3taPk.  The problem I'm having when I type is that the bracket that holds the ink ribbon along with the typewriter hammers is staying in the same place for a few seconds and then slowly sinks down.  This makes typing productivity very slow.  I'm honestly not sure what to do.    When the key hammers hit the paper, sometimes they leave a good impression on the paper but then other times the key hammers hit the paper and you can barely see the letter on the paper.  Here's a link with pictures of how I put the ink ribbon in if that helps https://plus.google.com/111582950219234539031/posts/j2RJxCdFegm

Writer of Stories 

29-11-2014 23:12:08  #4

Just keep at it. I had to work at mine for about a week before I got it to work. But it'll be worth it. The SM-4 is a superb typewriter made by the best typewriter manufacturer. Oh, and one more note: NEVER OIL THE SEGMENT WHERE THE TYPEBARS GO INTO THEIR SLOTS!! In theory this helps, but in a few months, it will be filled with gunk and you'll have to do it all over again. So just be careful there. But good luck!

29-11-2014 23:13:22  #5

DO NOT OIL the segment!!! First off, your ribbon isn't correctly installed. And if it's binding it will prevent the keys from working properly. You should be cleaning the segment not the segment cover plate. I use Q-Tip swabs soaked in Varson (mineral spirits) to work the liquid into the segment slots. And you should also clean the typebar linkages and if you turn the machine over, you'll see that there's another segmented bar that the keybars move through, it needs to be cleaned as well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-11-2014 23:15:39  #6

I do appreciate your advice ztyper.  I will continue working at having it fully operational.  You're right, just be dilagent.  Going over it again with alcohol does help.  You wouldn't believe how much dust is in this thing.  I had to use canned air at one point.  Dust was everywhere, in my hair, on my clothes, and when I looked inside it just now I saw some more dust I didn't get.  If I have to keep cleaning it I will.  Anything to make it work smoothly.  I want to use it for writing.  Typewriters force you to concentrate and I get distracted easily.  I hope nothing's wrong with it.  I might cry.    If I sound exasperated I do apologize.  It's a frustrating ordeal but nothing good in life is easy.

Writer of Stories 

29-11-2014 23:30:39  #7

Uwe wrote:

DO NOT OIL the segment!!! First off, your ribbon isn't correctly installed. And if it's binding it will prevent the keys from working properly. You should be cleaning the segment not the segment cover plate. I use Q-Tip swabs soaked in Varson (mineral spirits) to work the liquid into the segment slots. And you should also clean the typebar linkages and if you turn the machine over, you'll see that there's another segmented bar that the keybars move through, it needs to be cleaned as well.

What is the segment?  I am new to typewriters.  I do apologize.  I've cleaned under the keys and all of the area under the machine that I could reach.  How do I get to the segment bar where the key bars are at.  I think I may have cleaned there.  I used a toothbrush though.  You're right, a Q-Tip would work better.  I wish I knew the anatomy of a typewriter so I understood where everything's at.  I didn't know if I had the ribbon in right.  In the video I linked the guys typewriter is set up differently.  His doesn't have that tiny loop bar protruding up from the ink ribbon bracket.  Do I put the ribbon behind that loop bar?  I am so confused.  I'm probably confusing you all.  I'm sorry.  I think I'm over thinking it.  Please someone make a YouTube video about this.  If I'm coming off like a jerk I do apologize 

Writer of Stories 

30-11-2014 00:22:35  #8

I have the same problem (typebars not quite reaching the paper) with one of my SG1s.  As far as I can tell, the mechanism which prevents typing when you reach the right margin is not set correctly, but I can't see how to release or adjust it. 
If the typebars are moving freely, then perhaps you too have the same problem that I do.  Shall be investigating further when time permits, since the feeling is exactly the same as when the typebars are interrupted at the end of a line.
ALSO, there is a mechanism on some machines that prevents full movement of the typebars when the machine is in transit, and is assocciated with the carriage lock.  It may be worth investigating these linkages too.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-11-2014 00:36:15  #9

beak wrote:

I have the same problem (typebars not quite reaching the paper) with one of my SG1s.  As far as I can tell, the mechanism which prevents typing when you reach the right margin is not set correctly, but I can't see how to release or adjust it. 
If the typebars are moving freely, then perhaps you too have the same problem that I do.  Shall be investigating further when time permits, since the feeling is exactly the same as when the typebars are interrupted at the end of a line.
ALSO, there is a mechanism on some machines that prevents full movement of the typebars when the machine is in transit, and is assocciated with the carriage lock.  It may be worth investigating these linkages too.

Thank you beak

Writer of Stories 

30-11-2014 01:07:55  #10

Hmmm... what might help is a good Dunk Cleaning. You say that there's tons of dust and whatnot in your machine, which means there's more in places one may not see. Uwe actually posted instructions under maintenence on this site, I would highly suggest looking at it. It may not solve your problem immediately, but it might help. However, if you're not up to the challenge yet, just keep doing what your doing. Oh, and here's a link to a diagram for basic typewriter parts http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-parts.html And the segments is the piece of metal under the 'S' where the typebars go into. That's where you want to keep cleaning. I wish you the best of luck with your SM-4.

Board footera