You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-12-2014 21:14:48  #1

Olympia SF backlash

So I was doing research as usual about the Olympia SF and I found out that some people just don't like this typewriter. Here are some of the reviews that shocked me. http://munk.org/typecast/2013/08/13/the-best-traveling-typewriters-imho/     http://filthyplaten.com/2014/11/18/bottom-10-the-typewriters-with-the-worst-touch/   Is there anyone else who thinks that this model is horrible? I'm just wondering.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-12-2014 12:13:21  #2

Re: Olympia SF backlash

A friend of mine has a Splendid, and he just loves it, but I've never used one myself. I like the fact that the keys are good sized -- I have an Olivetti Lettera that I don't always like using because the keys seem just a tad too small.

09-12-2014 17:48:58  #3

Always consider the source. Ted's comment on the SF does not reflect my experiences with the model (I have eight of them and they all perform similarly well), but his opinions are worthy of respect and I'd be inclined to believe that he used a bad example of one. As for that other blog, to be polite it doesn't exactly come off as being an objective analysis, certainly not with all the hyperbole it contains.

My own impression of the SF is that it's a very competent ultra-portable with an action that could be described as being on the stiff rather than light side. I have actually travelled with one and found it to be well suited to the role. Is it the best ultra-portable ever made? No. But it's certainly up there in terms of build quality and it doesn't deserve to be panned. I would definitely pick one to type with over a Lettera, mostly for the reason that Janet already pointed out: there's something amiss with the keyboard on the Olivetti models that make it easy - for me - to miss keys. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-12-2014 18:46:12  #4

Alright, well thanks. The SF is the best ultra-portable I own in terms of quality and feel. And I will definitely keep using it. I was just surprised because everyone gave the machine a very high rating, even up there with the Smith-Corona Skyriter which some say is the best ultra-portable ever (I have yet to get my hands one one).

09-12-2014 18:55:21  #5

You have to take some reviews with a grain of salt, after all they are based on a machine that is at 40 years old, and some, as you would expect, work better than others because they are in better condition. You also have to factor in a person's experience with typewriters. A reviewer who owns 10 machines will not have the same comparitive base as someone who owns 100. And until you've tried most of the other models that were available at the time, how can you provide an objective "review" of a particular model's performance? Never forget that the internet is the world's greatest source of misinformation...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-12-2014 19:31:56  #6

Well, what's the best ultra-portable in your opinion Uwe? There is no way I'll get to 100 machines anytime soon and form my own opinion, but I'm just curious what yours is. You're the greatest wealth of knowledge when it comes to typewriters I know, since I can't ask anyone else with in a 50 mile radius because there is a very strong chance that I am the most knowledgable about typewriters within said radius.

09-12-2014 21:39:10  #7

I am very fond of my 1940s Hermes Baby. Although it does have the occasional hiccup -- the carriage jumps a bit from time to time -- I love the key action. I think it crams everything into a small space but still feels the same as typing on a larger portable. 

[Purely a style quibble: I don't like any of the later Hermes machines, even though they seem almost universally loved, because I can't get past that horrid seafoam green color. Sometimes it's the little stupid things that make you turn away from a brand.]

09-12-2014 21:54:05  #8

(That's interesting... I actually love that seafoam green. I feel like it's a very unusual colour that I just love. That's why I love the first Royal Portables. They came in pretty funky colors that you never find in mundane, ordinary, just plain normal typewriters. Like Royal's 40's models ironically about 10 years later. Not that they're bad colors, just that I like the more special colours and styles)

10-12-2014 08:42:28  #9

Oh I'm a big fan of pretty colors for my typewriters. And I agree that those 20s-30s Royals with the colors are wonderful -- I have a red one and a green one, and now I'm dying for a blue one. But look at this one Tom Furrier had in his shop -- that's insane! I couldn't concentrate typing on a machine like that.

10-12-2014 11:10:54  #10

ztyper wrote:

Well, what's the best ultra-portable in your opinion

I don't believe there's a single 'best' machine, but a list of contenders that represent designs that have a great type action, are durable, well-featured, and are easy to use. Past that point personal preferences kick in and it could be something as simple as the machine's colour that would lead one person to prefer one model over another that is equal in performance.

Some day I'll have to compile that list based on my own experiences, but it would require a lot of re-evaluation and side-by-side comparison.

Board footera