You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2014 01:23:59  #1

Carriage Return Lever Repair

Hi! I have a Remington Porto-Rite with a non-functional carriage return lever. It feels very loose, giving zero resistance and not affecting the carriage at all. Nothing stands out as broken, but clearly something is not right. I'm not sure how it's supposed to connect to do its job. Does anybody have any suggestions about what might be wrong and how to fix it? Photos below. Thanks!

15-12-2014 12:37:56  #2

Re: Carriage Return Lever Repair

What happens when you actuate the line space lever right now? What I mean is, have you followed the linkages through to the gear on the end of the carriage? Have you tried moving the line space selector? It sounds like a broken or missing linkage in the system,certainly the line space lever in its current position in your photo isn't correct. If you look at the second photo, there should be, I think, a shaft that extends from it through that curved opening that slots into that opening behind it. I can't tell from the third photo if it's there or broken off.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2014 18:46:24  #3

The lever will move back and forth, but it just sort of flops to one end or the other. There is no friction at all. It clearly needs to be attached to something, but I don't have another one of these handy to compare. I've searched to find a photo, but that isn't an area people tend to feature when they are showing off their collection.

15-12-2014 19:02:35  #4

Well then it appears that the shaft I mentioned isn't there. Or it's broken off. The end of it appears to be just above the line space lever's pivot point (clearly visisble in the second photo).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2014 19:10:06  #5

Hmmm, so in the following photo, are you referring to the red or blue arrow?

16-12-2014 00:58:53  #6

Blue arrow. I'd have to dig out a machine to verify my suspicion, but it should be easy enough for you to follow how it would work if a shaft fit through that opening and actuated the pawl that turns the platen via the gear on its end.

16-12-2014 17:46:12  #7

Ahh yes !  This is a well-known Pre-war Remington disease unfortunately !  In other words, a built-in design fault.  There is a tapered stud that is rivetted into the linespace lever and rides in that arcuate slot (blue arrow).  On the inside of the slot is the linespace pawl and return spring.  The stud has snapped clean off so there is now no connection between the linespace lever and the linespace pawl, therefore no linespacing and the lever is flopping about.  There are two solutions.  Obtain a parts machine and transfer the linespace lever complete. Or, remove the linespace lever and take it to a precision engineer to have the remains of the stud drilled out.  I had this done for a customer's machine, and he had to use a cobalt drill to drill through the hardened stud.  It is most important that this job is done accurately because if it is out even slightly, the new stud will not ride in the arcuate slot.  Having removed the stud, tap the hole - I think we used M2.5 or M3.  I was lucky enough to have a metric stud that came off an old Adler golfball typewriter that I could screw into the tapped hole in the linespace lever.  You might have to get a stud specially made.  Virtually all Pre-War Remington portables, and a few post war ones, use this horrible brittle stud, which breaks frequently.  I've seen quite a few !

05-2-2015 01:48:37  #8

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to update this thread on my progress.  I was able to fix this by finding a pan-head machine screw of just the right size to fit through the hole in the lever. I then shortened the screw so that the tip slides right into that slot. A nut on the back side of the lever holds it tightly in place. It works well! It helps to have a great store near my home that specializes in screws and fasteners.

Thanks for your help!

05-2-2015 09:00:54  #9

Good job! Post a photo of your repair if the mood strikes you; it will serve as inspiration for others, and prove that a little ingenuity can often save a machine.

Board footera