You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2014 19:18:55  #1

SG1 questions

Ok, it's no secret that I really want an Olympia SG1. I would do almost anything for this, besides murder and anything along those lines (I would cut off my left foot though. That's how badly I want one. Ok maybe not that, but you get the general idea). So I was just curious what I should know about these wonderful machines. Like what kind of special features does it have? I have made it my destiny to eventually obtain this legendary typewriter.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

16-12-2014 07:07:49  #2

Re: SG1 questions

I'll get the ball rolling by mentioning my favourite feature; the superb action!  I thought my SM4 would prove unbeatable in that regard, but the SG1 did it.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2014 14:52:18  #3

Oh glorious SG1, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! In no particular order, here are the details that make the SG1 a stand-out standard.

Touchy-Feely: There are many standard machines that type well - superlatively well - but few have the difficult-to-describe feel of the SG1's cushioned keys. Don't be fooled by all those bloggers who cluelessly ramble on about it being some self-leveling mechanism, those keys are actually lovingly sprung for the sake of type comfort.

God is in the Detail: With a fit and finish that makes you smile every time you sit down to use the typewriter, the SG1 is chock-full of little design details that you'll never tire of looking at, like the shark fin pulls at each end of the paper bail.

Efficiency of Movement: When cranking out copy and trying hard to keep up with your devine inspiration, the last thing you want to do is waste time transitioning from one page to the next. Enter the SG1 Paper Injection System. It allows you to start a new page at the exact spot you desire by the simple pull of a lever. Superb. And as a bonus it's fun to use.

A Nod to the Penny Pinchers: Many machines have ribbon colour selectors. Black? Of course. Red? Naturally. White? Sure, but who cuts stencils anymore? Yellow? Huh? Yes, yellow. It lets you type in the middle of the ribbon and use up every last bit of the ink it holds.

All Access Pass: Twist the two Carriage Lock Handles and you're into the belly of the beast. Making servicing the machine a snap, the quick-detatch carriage system is a godsend for those who hate to fumble with drawbands and ball retainers.

Fame, Fame, Fame: The Olympia was cool enough for the infinitely cool William S. Burroughs. For some people that's reason enough to own one.

Double Down: Regardless if you want to distinguish text in headings or fill in an old-school cheque, just push down the Spaced Typing Key and the machine will automatically double space between every letter you type. 

Tough as Nails, Soft as Butter: The SG1 is a writer's tool. It's as tough as hammers and tongs, and suitable for use by everyone whether you're a 90 pound ballerina or a 300 pound blacksmith. The SG1 is a word factory; just plug it into the right power source and it will churn out flawless copy all day long.

Tailor-Made: Touch control? Of course - lots of machines have it - but with eight settings that make an appreciable difference in the type feel? Not so many. 

Hot Swap: The SG1 was available in SEVEN carriage widths, but you only had to own one machine to use them all. It only takes seconds to swap the carriage on a SG1; you can type postcards using the 9½ in. carriage, and moments later, fill out a massive ledger on a 35 in. carriage. The downside? Finding extra carriages is not easy.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-12-2014 17:25:51  #4

Interchangable carriages? Now that's something I've never heard of. *sigh* Only another reason to get this beautiful writer's tool. And I thought my SM-9 was the best... Nope, that goes to the SG1. Perhaps one will come my way...

16-12-2014 21:19:29  #5

Keep an eye out for an SG3, too- if you get an earlier one (like both of mine) they will have most of the same features. They are a bit more common too, although they aren't as nice looking. Although I am yet to try a SG1, I would assume the type action is very similar. An SG3 would make a perfect match for an SM9, they are very similarly designed.

17-12-2014 11:58:52  #6

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Although I am yet to try a SG1, I would assume the type action is very similar.

I have both German and Mexican made SG3 models and they do an admirable job of continuing forward the best qualities of the SG1, but they lack cushioned keys. It's a small, but noticable, difference.

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

An SG3 would make a perfect match for an SM9, they are very similarly designed.

Just as the SG1 was designed to keep the family lines of the SM2 to SM5 models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-12-2014 18:02:00  #7

I considered the SG3 but it just looks borderline ugly. Well, not ugly, just not attractive. That's why I love the SG1, it looks just as good as it types, or so I hear. 

24-12-2014 23:54:01  #8

Well put UWE! I don't know if I could have put it better myself. The SG1 for me is the typewriter to end all typewriters...at least for now ;) A few months after getting it, I'm still left feeling fulfilled enough to be loyal and not look out for other machines! Haha! I am sure that someday, when you get one, you will surely not be disappointed....The next typewriter that I want to bring home: a second SG1! 

25-12-2014 00:38:29  #9

So, I love my SG1s, and they are without doubt excellent, but I would like to know what the Hermes Ambassador is like, and how it compares; does anyone have experience of both?
I guess I would have one by now, but I never see them in Australia.

Last edited by beak (25-12-2014 00:39:03)

Sincerely,
beak.

26-12-2014 18:34:34  #10

Well, I'll toil away with tiny portable, maybe some standards every now and then. But I will get one eventually. I'm not in the mood to be all wihy-washy, since the Royal KHM I wanted, somebody already bought (I'm still very upset ). So I just might have to get the SG1... to make up for my loss.

Board footera