You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2013 20:54:53  #1

Suggestion Box

Typewriter Talk is a social meeting place for enthusiasts and the typerwriter curious, and as such, it should be an enjoyable and practical forum for everyone to use. To ensure that those goals are being met, the suggestions and comments of those who use it are of great value.

Please use this thread to provide your feedback on the forum whether it's good or bad. What do you like, or dislike? Is there a sub-forum that you would like to see added, or an existing one that you want changed?

Typewriter Talk during its early life will be a work in progress and will be fine tuned on the fly. By sharing your thoughts on what you'd like to see in a typewriter forum you can help to make this a great place to spend time when not typing.   

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2013 14:33:44  #2

Re: Suggestion Box

Is there room for a British typewriters sub-forum? I see the danger in too much sub-division but...

17-3-2013 16:11:45  #3

Stevetype33 wrote:

Is there room for a British typewriters sub-forum? I see the danger in too much sub-division but...

Absolutely! However, how many manufacturers were British in origin as opposed to British made versions of brands that originated elsewhere? Would it be inappropriate to fit them in with the European sub-forum?

I'd be more than happy to include a British sub-forum if people feel that it would be a useful sub-division to have. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2013 16:33:24  #4

There were a few british typewriter manufacturers, but the only one that springs immediately to mind is "IMPERIAL". 

This place needs an off-topic area. To discuss music, movies, art, science, history, and everything else that ain't typwriters. And maybe a board for typecasts. That might be fun. 

Last edited by Shangas (17-3-2013 16:55:53)

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

17-3-2013 18:28:05  #5

I would love to see a breakdown in the forums by type of typewriter:  desk models and portables instead of by country.  I will look at portable typewriter information but my main interest are the older desk typewriters c.1890-1930.  I would have to visit the European, German, and American forums now to see that I didn't miss any desk machines but, with a forum for just all desk typewriters I would only have to look at one forum

I don't know how you can please everyone all of the time but maybe some re-thinking about the forum divisions might be good.

Thank you ewe for starting this forum.  The Yahoo groups are good but are very limited in being able to easily share and post photos.

17-3-2013 20:46:48  #6

Steve Stephens wrote:

I don't know how you can please everyone all of the time but maybe some re-thinking about the forum divisions might be good.

Well that was a big concern when I initially set everything up. There were numerous ways that I could have divided up the sub-forums, and no matter which way I chose, somebody would have preferred it had been done differently.

Steve Stephens wrote:

I would love to see a breakdown in the forums by type of typewriter:  desk models and portables instead of by country.

What if I divided it by Portable and Desktop, with sub-forums in each for countries? Too many forums then?

I should point out that there are alternative ways to read the forum. For example, if you clicked on the "Show Recent Posts" link at the bottom of the main Index page each time you logged in, you would be presented with a list of all the new content by thread instead of it being divided by sub-forum. That way you could scan down the list to see if there were items of interest to you without opening each sub-forum.

Steve Stephens wrote:

Thank you ewe for starting this forum.

A ewe is a female sheep. But maybe you were just making a baa-aa-d joke? 

17-3-2013 22:51:34  #7

I'm sorry Uwe, my mistake for not taking more care with your name.  Good joke or not it was not intended to be.

I get used to how some forums work that I frequent but sometimes it just takes some getting used to a new way to do something.  I do often go on some forums to "new posts".  The fewer forum divisions there are the better yet there should still be enough to make the forum appealling to all.

I was hoping that photos could be downloded to this forum directly but I see that one needs to have a host.  Well, I do have Photobucket but a change by them last month has me seeing red and not wanting to have anything to do with their site.  They ruined what they had in an attempt, apparently, to make their hosting work better with social media.  I will have to find another host and start all over as I lost a lot on Photobucket when they changed to their new software.

17-3-2013 23:46:52  #8

Separating machines by country or region is fiddly. There are LOADS of countries and dozens of brands spread out between them. 

Dividing them by portable and standard, pre & postwar, seems more sensible to my mind. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

18-3-2013 00:05:17  #9

Shangas wrote:

Dividing them by portable and standard, pre & postwar, seems more sensible to my mind. 

I like that idea but the two Wars do not give a good dividing line for desk typewriters.  I would choose to divide before and after 1930, perhaps 1935 as those dates are when most machines went from the shiny black to the crinkle grey and modernization set in.  Maybe even pre-WWI but that breaks up sevearl long produced machines such as the Underwood 5 and Royal 10, etc.  Some happy concensis is what is needed but how do you make it good for everyone?

18-3-2013 00:41:57  #10

Well in that case, how about Standard & Portable, pre & post-depression? Those made up to 1929/30, and those made thereafter? Because you're right, things changed markedly in the 1930s... 

Board footera