You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-3-2013 00:51:23  #11

Re: Suggestion Box

I would put the divison of portables around c.1950 or 60 when the portables went from an old style to a new style.  Don't a lot of people like portables for real typing from the 60s and early 70s?  My interest stops when they went from the older style all metal bodies to starting to include plastic on parts and bodies.  Was that late 1950s?

18-3-2013 02:04:59  #12

Plastic in typewriters, in a big way, at any rate, started in the late 50s/early 60s, I think. At least, that's what I've observed. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

18-3-2013 11:16:56  #13

Maybe the standard desk typewriters can be divided between pre and post 1930 or so and the portables stay all together.  Since most portables as we mostly think of them came out in the early 1920s they did not change as much as the desk machines made from the 1880s/90s.
Desk:  1880-1930 is 50 years or 30 years for when the majority were made 1900-1930
          1930-1960 is 30 years

Portable 1920-1960 is 40 years.

Any other ideas out there.  Let's not see things changed if the majority desires a different layout.

18-3-2013 12:19:53  #14

I'm really not a fan of dividing things up by years. It's problematic for a number of reasons:

1. Those new to typewriters will be less familiar with the chronological nuances of what they're looking at as opposed to the brand name which is clearly written on the front of the machine. Many may not even know which year the machine they're thinking of buying or have already bought was made in. 

2. No matter which years you use as a dividing point, you will always end up splitting a model run in two and add confusion to where content shuold be posted. For example, say you used 1950 to sub-divide a category and I wanted to discuss my 1952 Smith-Corona. Do I post it in the pre-1950 group because that particular model design was first produced in 1949, or do I start my thread in the post-1950 group. How much overlap would this create with some Super-5 posts being created in the pre group and others being discussed in the post group? 

The reason I used countries of origin to divide everything up is because I  believed that most people sort their own machines by brand first and then by year. New collectors/buyers wouldn't necessarily know the origin of a brand, which is why I provided examples of all the major makes for each country. I know it's an assumption, but I'm sure the examples from the more obscure brands are for the most part in the hands of more knowlegable collectors who know their country of origin and consequently which sub-forum to use.

Imagine for a minute this was a car forum. Would it makes sense to clump every single manufacturer together and categorize discussion by pre- or post- specific years? Don't most people discuss cars (motorcycles, watches, straight razors, etc...) by manufacturer and then further identify them by year?

I tried to imagine how someone new to typewriter buying would approach the subject as I wanted this forum to be unintimidating and approachable to everyone, especially those new to typewriters.

I can sort of understand dividing everything by portable and desktop, but again, if you know your machines and you're only interested in portables, you'll aslo know when you're browsing the American forum for an Underwood to ignore the heading for an Underwood No. 6.

Those are a few of my thoughts and reasons on how the sub-forums should be structured, but I will certainly respect what the majority would prefer to see. Maybe the best way to approach this issue is to collect a few more opinions, and then create a poll containing the different possibilities so everyone can vote for what they'd like to see?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2013 13:20:54  #15

You make good points Uwe and I understand there is no best way to divide categories up.  Either you have too many forums or not enough.

I wonder how many collectors or users lean strongly towards either desk OR portable typewriters.  When I started collecting at the end of 2011 I was buying both up to the mid '50s Smith Corona Super Silents.  Now I have enough portables and my interests are almost entirely the old typewriters but do include the Blicks and maybe even Hammond.

Separating the portables from the older desk typewriters means that I do not have to scroll through a lot of posts about portables.  If you are not going to separate by era I hope you will consider doing it by desk and portable if that's what the majority of the members want.

Dividing by country does not make sense to me as I would possibly be missing some interesting typewriters when I did not look at the forums other than the American one.  What I am hoping is that you will end up with as few different forums as will work for the most members.

Our Antique Fan Collectors Association forums were divided a few years back between pre-1950 and post-1950.  Before that time the one forum was sometimes overrun by newbies posting about 1960's box fans.  Now, with the split, reading the one forum for me (pre-1950) has worked out exceedingly well with newer fans that do not interest me now in their own seperate forum.
http://www.afcaforum.com
As you can see the forums are pretty simple and easy to use.

18-3-2013 14:53:41  #16

I suppose another reason against dividing by country is the fact that many companies were bought out by foriegn concerns. For example the US 'Oliver' that became the 'British Oliver'.

18-3-2013 15:02:49  #17

So what about a main portable/desktop division each with sub-forum ranges for the first letter of a manufacturer's name?

For example:
Portable Forum
- General Portable Discussion
- Manufacturers A-G
- Manufacturers H-N
- etc...

Desktop Forum
- General Desktop Discussion
- Manufacturers A-G
- Manufacturers H-N
- etc...

I see that most discussion here about changes only concerns the Type Talk section. Am I safe in assuming that the other sections are alright, other than the one suggestion to add a non-typewriter discussion area?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2013 16:27:11  #18

Uwe wrote:

I see that most discussion here about changes only concerns the Type Talk section. Am I safe in assuming that the other sections are alright, other than the one suggestion to add a non-typewriter discussion area? 

My suggestions have to do with the six forum divisions under TYPEWRITERS:

Type Talk
  Asian
  American
  Electric
  European
  German.

Looking at those subdivisions I would probably suggest just these four with some possible additions as asked for by members:

Type Talk
  Electric
  Desk Typewriters
  Portables

Dividing by the letter of the name of the manufacturer would probably get me to not bother looking at the forum or, perhaps, I would get used to it and embrace it.  With the Desk Typewriters sorted into their own segment I could see all of them on one forum.  The fewer forums the better but it will take a number of different categories I think to work best.

Should there be another category for the early index typewriters and other early rare machines and oddities?  Franklins, Blicks, Hammonds and so many other typewriters that do not follow the normal convention for typewriters.   I would think so to cater to those interested in such typewriters.

18-3-2013 18:13:19  #19

Uwe wrote:

So what about a main portable/desktop division each with sub-forum ranges for the first letter of a manufacturer's name?

For example:
Portable Forum
- General Portable Discussion
- Manufacturers A-G
- Manufacturers H-N
- etc...

Desktop Forum
- General Desktop Discussion
- Manufacturers A-G
- Manufacturers H-N
- etc...

I like this arrangement. I think it covers everything that requires attention. 

But yes, we need an off-topic area. Or two or three, depending on what you want to discuss in the OT area. Other than that, as far as boards go, I think the forum has what it requires. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

18-3-2013 20:11:56  #20

Steve Stephens wrote:

Should there be another category for the early index typewriters and other early rare machines and oddities?  Franklins, Blicks, Hammonds and so many other typewriters that do not follow the normal convention for typewriters.   I would think so to cater to those interested in such typewriters.

What would you call this sub-forum? 19th Century Typewriters? Non-traditionals? Pre-QWERTY(Z)?

Board footera