You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-4-2013 08:23:49  #31

Re: Suggestion Box

beak wrote:

I'm always interested in the typefaces of various machines - could there be a thread were we demonstrate our machine's type with a standard paragraph of text?!

I'd vote for that too. 

07-4-2013 08:32:46  #32

Okay I'll start one - when I work out where to post it!

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2013 02:49:56  #33

New here, so please forgive if this is a tedious question, but is there a glossary of typewriter terms for me to study?  For instance, I just came across the expression 'Touch Control' and though I can guess at its aproximate meaning, I would like to be sure.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2013 03:23:30  #34

Somewhere on this board, there's a link to my guide to typewriters. I think it's in the "Resources" board. It covers nearly all the parts common to every typewriter. 

But to answer your question directly, a touch-control feature tightens or loosens the key-tension on the typewriter. Low tension means that the keys are very 'floppy' and that you don't need much effort to type. Higher tension means that the keys function more stiffly. It's an interesting feature, but I never quite understood its purpose/practicalities. Maybe someone can explain it better. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

24-11-2014 19:11:24  #35

I would like to see a tab entitled accessories and furniture associated with typewriters.

28-11-2014 12:47:57  #36

RobinRocks wrote:

I would like to see a tab entitled accessories and furniture associated with typewriters.

Done! I've added a new sub-forum to cover everything but the machines themselves: Typewriter Paraphernalia

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera