You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-1-2015 16:54:24  #1

Hemingwrite?

Hi Guys-

Has anyone here heard of this new Hemingwrite machine coming out? Any opinions? Although it's designsers pose it as an "electronic typewrier" I'm not sure that I totally buy into it. If the price were less, I would entertain adding one to my collection to use for correspondence that must be electronic that is not worth typing and scanning. 

You can check is out here: http://hemingwrite.com

-Pat

17-1-2015 17:56:54  #2

Re: Hemingwrite?

It looks like an updated Alphasmart Neo, so in other words nothing really new (the caveat being that I couldn't find any real specs for the machine on the website). 

I had considered getting a Neo a few months ago, but that phase passed. And this new version of it bothers me on serval counts. For one, there's the shameful use of the Hemingway name and the overt way they're trying to make it look ever-so-cool for the trendy hipster set. The price, for what it is, is far too high (presumably because they won't be making enough of them to price them at what they're worth). However, the worst thing is the design. The website describes it as a "b
eautiful retro design." Really? Retro how? All lthat plastic makes it look cheap, and the design itself gives the impression that you would buy it at Toys-R-Us, or find it hanging off Batman's utility belt. 

In short: Pass.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-1-2015 22:06:10  #3

As spectacular as it would be to have a product that resembles a typewriter in the hands of the masses, I have to agree with Uwe on this one. It's not worth it. It reminds me too much of the plastic SCMs and Litton Royals of the 80's, when typewriter companies were cutting costs in order to stay afloat. Even though it reminds me so much of my Royal 200 typewriter in the photo on a person's lap, it's by all means not a typewriter. If I was really that desperate to actually sit down and write, I would stroll right down to my local thrift shop, or flea market, or even ebay if you're feeling lucky and just get myself a good ol' tough-as-nails typewriter. For at the most half the price. The price is what really bugs me. That much cash doesn't even get you proportional spacing. And the materials. If it were metal, even just something cheap (or chrome, that'd be cool) I would maybe consider it. But it's plastic. Like nearly everything these days. So this thing, as cool as the concept is, just isn't worth it.

(This Hemingwrite actually reminds me of something called the Phoenix Typewriter project. I really want to tackle something like the Hemingwrite only with a real typewriter. I just need some money though. Here's the link to the project: http://www.dirkvanweelden.net/the-phoenix-typewriter/)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-1-2015 00:17:02  #4

I agree with both of you guys! Z-I have heard of that Phoenix Typewriter project. If I were an engineer who could pull it off, I would start a kickstarter project for something like that to see where it goes!

18-1-2015 14:46:29  #5

Uwe wrote:

It looks like an updated Alphasmart Neo, so in other words nothing really new (the caveat being that I couldn't find any real specs for the machine on the website). 

I had considered getting a Neo a few months ago, but that phase passed. ...... However, the worst thing is the design. The website describes it as a "b
eautiful retro design." Really? Retro how? 

In short: Pass.

Well, a big difference from the Alphasmarts is that this thing stores its files in the cloud, for all the security, confidence, and permanence _that_ will give you. No printouts but it is "modular" so maybe you'll be able to lug a printer around with you.

And "retro"? Hey, give 'em credit---"retro" is a more trendy, modern, with-it term than the "Turbo" and "Mega" they might have used. Hmmm, "retro" ... Stars Wars _did_ take place "a long time ago". 

Give it a pass?---heh, give it a drop-kick.

18-1-2015 15:55:31  #6

M. Höhne wrote:

Hmmm, "retro" ... Stars Wars _did_ take place "a long time ago". Give it a pass?---heh, give it a drop-kick.

I'm still laughing... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-1-2015 19:28:00  #7

Ektagraphic, perhaps when I'm older and have the funds to just go crazy and live like a hermit in my basement and build a 21st century typewriter, I just might do it. But since I have very little mechanical skills, it'll take me a while... Until then, we'll just have to dream on.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera