You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2015 13:20:39  #21

Re: Favorite/Least favorite brands

For long bouts of typing my favorite so far is a boxy 2nd generation Hermes 3000. It's just plain effortless. For style, though, it's a 1939 Royal Quiet Deluxe that I got in mint condition from a lady locally. Almost as easy as the 3000, and style for days and days.

Los Angeles, CA

06-2-2015 13:29:06  #22

Go on, show us that Royal! They sound wonderful.

05-3-2015 02:24:27  #23

I find nothing but newer Smith Corona electrics out here it seems, it gets old. At the same time my Smith Corona Super Silent is my favorite machine. 

05-3-2015 12:54:08  #24

Allende wrote:

I find nothing but newer Smith Corona electrics out here it seems, it gets old. At the same time my Smith Corona Super Silent is my favorite machine. 

The Super Silent is the only one of the Super-5 models that I don't own; I've seen several come up for sale, but never at a price I was willing to pay. 

Where is "out here" by the way? Great avatar - is it someone we should recognize? ;-)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-3-2015 17:50:14  #25

Ha! It's Salvador Allende. I wonder what typewriter he preferred.

In other news, I am very pleased to report that, having got my Lettera 22 fixed up and got new grommets for it from the Typewriter Man, I now love it. I'm going to sell the 32 and stick with this one. 

If I ever do get the Studio 44 going right - I mean when I do - I think I'll really like that one, too. But it will never be the SM3 or the SM8. I just love everything about the Olympias.

It is funny how people home in on the one they love. But most of you are in the US, and over here in the UK you just don't see these old Smith Corona models you guys talk about. I'd love to get one of those Super 5s. Even the Royals are thin on the ground over here.

Last edited by KatLondon (06-3-2015 17:51:12)

07-3-2015 05:08:06  #26

Greatly admire as outstanding machines:
OLYMPIA
HERMES
ALPINA

Not so keen on:
Remington  -  except the early portables.
Olivetti  - always feel cheap and 'tinny' to me.

Undecided  - through lack of experience with them:
Royal  (Apparently, repairers prefer them as they tend to be easy to work on.)

Found to be 'hit and miss':
Underwood

Last edited by beak (08-3-2015 20:16:10)

Sincerely,
beak.

07-3-2015 16:14:03  #27

Olympias are plentiful in London. The only Hermes I've ever been able to get my hands on was a 1949 Baby that I lovingly got working, only for the teeth to go on the carriage rail, or something. I was bidding on a 3000 the other day but got beat to it. But today by a miraculous happenstance I was able to get hold of a Remington Envoy (1940 I think - it's the older kind) for £20! A bit of tlc and ingenuity and it works a treat. I love it. 

Last edited by KatLondon (08-3-2015 16:09:35)

08-3-2015 10:23:01  #28

Sadly, the only machines that I have experineced in good working condition have been Olympia's. I haven't had the pleasure to use any other machines that have been well maintained. I do have a couple of electric Smith Corona that I like, as well as a portable smith Corona clipper, but have loved Olympia machines so well that I have only really given them my full attention. I would love to try some Royal machines. I have a Royal Safari that actually does work, but personally, I can't stand the machine, so it turned me away from Royals. 

09-3-2015 17:15:25  #29

I don't have a favourite brand but I do have favourite machines which some will perhaps find a little strange. At the top of the favourite list is the Erika Pullman, a late model 10 probably because I have used it since I was 14, does everything I want and I always feel at home with it. It is heavy, more of a semi-portable and not everyone's cup of tea. I have used many full size office machines over the years from 1930's L C Smith and 60's Royals, Imperials and Smith Coronas'. I can't say any of them left any lasting impressions. They were just office machines that did the job. The Imperial 66 was nice, wrote a few manuals on one. My second most favourite is the Hermes Ambasador, it's huge, very heavy and the only typewriter to have NATO approval. It was beautiful to type with and very quiet. Sadly, it had to go after 10 years as it was just too big to have in the house, the long carriage didn't help either. Third favourite arrived only last week and maybe the oddest choice of all. It's a 1939 Empire baby deluxe although what is deluxe about it I can't imagination. It has only the most basic functions in order for it to qualify to be a typewriter. This is the machine I learnt to type on when I was 10 and within an hour we were really flying, faster than the Erika and for a while I was almost re-living my child hood. Next would be the Empire Aristocrat, bought because I couldn't find a 1930's Empire baby. It soon reminded me why I part exchanged the Empire baby but I like to type with it.

Least favourite brand  is very easy. The IBM badged electric golf ball machine which was almost hate at first sight. It was the boss's secretary's machine and I had to use it when she was using the old manual Royal which she did most of the time as she hated the thing as well. I was told to avoid Olivetti portables in my youth, light and very popular with sales reps and journalist as they had a short service life although the local typewriter shop made a good living selling them. I bought one on Ebay, it was like my Fiat car I had in the 70's, they both fell apart.

So I my favourite brand is Empire (?) maybe not for the best of reasons but there is no accounting for taste is there.

10-3-2015 07:44:21  #30

retro wrote:

I don't have a favourite brand but I do have favourite machines  

I find recollections such as yours absolutely riveting to read as it represents first hand knowledge and experience of typewriters from a time when they were standard equipment in both the home and office.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter in school, and we had a Smith-Corona Electric at home that I used for all of my school assignments (my mother, who is now 90, still owns it), but I was too young to have had an appreciation of the various makes and models that were available back then. And by the time I was finishing high school (more accurately, it was finished with me) the standard typewriter had become those souless electronic machines with built-in word processors - and the personal PC was beginning to gain ground. In other words, I just missed the swan song of the mechanical typewriter and consequently didn't develop any brand preferences until far more recently when I started to use and collect them.

Part of the reason I like to read the personal preferences of those who used typewriters during their heyday is that they tend to filter out the aesthetic impact the machines have and focus on more practical criteria. The opposite is true today; current typewriter buyers – even collectors – are more often swayed by the visual appeal and the perceived rarity of a machine than they are with its performance and durability, which is really what the subject of this thread is about. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera