You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2015 10:02:35  #41

Re: Favorite/Least favorite brands

KatLondon wrote:

....though I hardly know of anyone who ever disliked typing on an Olympia.

This reminded me of an idea for an interessting (?) thread;

'Find Fault With The (insert name and model of well-respected machine).'

For instance, I'd start with the ridiculously inadequate paper support on the (otherwise excellent) Hermes 3000!

Last edited by beak (09-6-2015 10:02:53)

Sincerely,
beak.

09-6-2015 10:17:29  #42

beak wrote:

For instance, I'd start with the ridiculously inadequate paper support on the (otherwise excellent) Hermes 3000!

Exactly!

It's like their taped a couple of straws to the carriage that bend down at the weight of the first piece of paper and just stayed there. The paper support looks great folded down on the back, but first time I flipped them up I thought something was stuck:-)

09-6-2015 11:57:35  #43

I'd have to pull one out, but I don't recall having any issues with the paper support on a 3000, so maybe it's something that could be adjusted? I'm overjoyed when a typewriter comes with any form of a paper support, so maybe I'm less fussy about them. It remains one of the biggest mysteries to me why so many machines did not have a paper support (standard and portable models) when it's consistently one of things that I use most. Being able to read what you've already typed is of course the primary benefit, but not having a sheet of paper drag along the desk is the bigger concern for me.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-6-2015 20:09:53  #44

Not to sound like an echo, but I have been a big fan of Olympia typewriters as well, especially the SM8/SM9 models. They are just efficient, straightforward, and high-quality typewriters. I am also a fan of many of the 1950s and 1960s Smith-Corona portable typewriters, and have been absolutely impressed with the tiny little Skyriter. They're a bit cheap in construction, but they work great. 

So far, I haven't found a typewriter I really disliked, but I generally only pick up typewriters from local sales and flea markets, so most of what I come across is from Royal, Smith-Corona,  Underwood, Remington, and the occasional Olympia or Hermes. Really, the only typewriters that I have consistently found that had issues have been the Hermes Rockets I've come across, though alot of others seem to like them quite a bit. Just seems to me that some of the European made ultra-portables from the 1950s and 1960s don't age very well if they are stored in less-than-ideal conditions. 

Last edited by Retro-Z (09-6-2015 20:13:55)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

10-6-2015 05:22:00  #45

I dont know why, but Ive always been a huge fan of Remington and Royal.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

10-6-2015 16:17:34  #46

Royal is the king of typewriters. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-6-2015 19:01:17  #47

...but Olympia is emperor!

Sincerely,
beak.

10-6-2015 19:05:45  #48

ztyper wrote:

Royal is the king of typewriters. 

Gotta say, they made some great stuff! I've been totally impressed with the beat-up old HH I just picked up. An HH or FP in one of their nifty green/blue colors is definitely on my wanted list!!!

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

10-6-2015 20:49:53  #49

Can't disagree with beak on this one, Olympia is superior to all. 

And I would love one of those alternative paint jobs Royal had for the FP, like a mint green or even a pink one!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-6-2015 23:40:50  #50

Uwe wrote:

I'd have to pull one out, but I don't recall having any issues with the paper support on a 3000, so maybe it's something that could be adjusted? I'm overjoyed when a typewriter comes with any form of a paper support, so maybe I'm less fussy about them. It remains one of the biggest mysteries to me why so many machines did not have a paper support (standard and portable models) when it's consistently one of things that I use most. Being able to read what you've already typed is of course the primary benefit, but not having a sheet of paper drag along the desk is the bigger concern for me.

I am noticing that as you get closer to the bottom of the page, the paper may start to slide a bit under its own weight as I type.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera