You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2015 08:50:49  #1

Ribbon Lift Mechanism on a Robotron S 1001 Cella

Hi guys,
I have a really pretty Robotron Cella in flashy orange, on which the ribbon lift mechanism is not working correctly:
When in position "black", some - not all - letters will be half or full red. The problem is stable, it happens to some letters, and never to others, and there is no pattern, such as top row or left half or adjacent typebars only. The more lightly I type, the less letters will be red or the less of a letter will be red. Adjusting the touch accordingly helped, too. I am using the proper Barock ribbon spools (group 5, I guess). When typing red, everything is fine and all letters print completely in red, no half letters or so.
Maybe s.o. had an idea, wether this is a fixable problem or rather a production fault? Apart from that ribbon issue the machine is in very good condition, despite the many plastic parts in the mechanism. And of course I can perfectlyn use it with a black ribbon only, but, well, you know ...
Would very much appreciate to get a hint, although a Robotron Cella probably is quite an exotic machine for most of the typoshperians here, as I guess they were not very common outside Germany.
Thanks!

25-1-2015 12:40:17  #2

Re: Ribbon Lift Mechanism on a Robotron S 1001 Cella

I don't have that particular model, so hopefully someone who does will be able to help you out. Most ribbon issues I've encountered with other typewriters inevitably turned out to be either an incorrect ribbon path (from the previous owner), or a gummed up vibrator, which was restored to proper function by a thorough cleaning. However, in your case it sounds like the vibrator is lifting too high. I would begin by checking the linkages for the colour selector, and the linkages for the vibrator itself to see if anything was bent or out of place. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-1-2015 17:12:13  #3

A customer sent me one of these to repair last year.  Judging by the one that I saw (which had exactly the same fault) it is probably a manufacturing defect.  The Cella is based on the old Silver-Reed portable.  I'm guessing that after the tooling was sold to Maritsa in Bulgaria, it finally made its' way to Robotron in the Former East Germany.  By this time, I imagine that the tooling was worn out.  I was only able to fix the problem on my customers' machine by swapping secondhand ribbon lift parts from an old Silver-Reed.  Even then, I had to adjust it very carefully to get a reliable ribbon lift.  You might just have to content yourself with fitting an all-black ribbon !

25-1-2015 18:44:28  #4

Thank you both for your replies!
So I won't have to think and worry about that issue anymore ... sigh.
However, that Maritsa connection is interesting, will have a close look at my 22.

07-2-2015 03:57:33  #5

Around the world with typewriters: From Royal through Silver-Seiko via Bulgaria to Robotron, something like that? I love these early globalisation aspects in typewriter history, especially when neglecting the iron curtain.

10-5-2015 02:42:58  #6

I think I have figured out what the reason might be for the erratic red typing of the Cellas. I have a "new" one with the same issue, another one coming in the next days, while the first one has been sold in the meantime as an all black machine. What I found:

There is a wire with a one inch loop that connects the colour switch with the mechanism that determines the ribbon lift height and links to the ribbon vibrator. The mechanism is located underneath the right spool. The angle of that wire, and the angle and position of its connecting hooks on either end, resulting in the wire not reaching its proper position in the mechanism and not being able to lift the ribbon vibrator to full extend every time aka reliable red. It is possible to push the wire manually in the proper position, and get a full red letter. Nice. Same when you manually lift the vibrator to full extend, nothing is blocked at that point. Therefore I don't think any other issues are involved.

I am considering hacking this by fixing a soft spring to the loop, in case I find a suitable spring and a good spot to fix its other end to, so that the wire gets a better angle. Hoping this will not affect the black position on the other side of the mechanism. Alternatively, I might unmount the ribbon mechanism to have better access to the wire, and rebend the ends. Hmpf.

10-5-2015 10:19:51  #7

Good job! Could you post a photo of one of these models? We almost never see Robotron machines in my area, but strangely enough, plenty of Optima models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-5-2015 10:27:04  #8

Here you go. It comes with a shiny black plastic hood, and for my taste there is too much plastic in the mechanism.
But the name Robotron - generally only known for GDR computers, hey! - is very catchy, and so is the bright orange body design. It offers autospace and fixed tabs every 10 increments or so and is a featherweight. I'll have an off-white model soon, hopefully.

10-5-2015 10:33:02  #9

Good grief that was fast!!!  Thanks. I'll have to buy one some day... when the CDN dollar is a little stronger. 

10-5-2015 10:39:40  #10

*smile* I am officing around anyway, get email alerts for that topic and was lucky to have the Cella photo at hand on my website.

Cellas often sell at less than 10 Euros on Ebay, if you find one with local pick up in Berlin, I can handle that, pack it up properly and ship it. So, basically, you needn't really consider more than the shipping costs.

Board footera