You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2015 13:47:51  #1

Smith Corona Clipper case ....

Hello - first time owner here!
I bought a (1949?) Smith Corona Clipper. It came with the case but one of the back hinges is broken. It's missing a little screw and the mechanism that clamps the lid onto the base bar (it looks like an angular hook). (It still has the spring in place.)

I was wondering if anyone has experience in restoring cases and whether I will have to special order this? Better yet, can I order this at all or am I better off lifting one from another case?  Are these parts interchangable? 

-Thanks for taking the time to read this. 
Please let me know is this is unclear and I will post a photo

27-1-2015 14:12:55  #2

Re: Smith Corona Clipper case ....

Hello and welcome to TT! 

I assume from your description that you're missing a part of this hinge? Presumably the half that is riveted to the top half of the travel case?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-1-2015 17:46:46  #3

A picture would help. You seem to be describing both a hinge at the back and the latch at the front. In any case, it'll have to be fixed because there are no new parts to "special order". You could post a request of the other members here to see if anybody has a junk case that still has the parts you need. Parts are not usually interchangeable between brands and sometimes not even on the same brand from different years or models.

It is very unusual to find an empty typwriter case, especially the exact one you are looking for. If you find one, it'll probably make more sense to put your machine in the newer case than to try to move the fittings, which are usually riveted. If you find a typewriter with its case, you could put the worst typewriter in the worst case and keep the good ones.

And finally, if you decide to give up on keeping it authentic, you might just mount some hardware store hinges and any old latch just so you can end up with an ugly but functioning case.

HTH and Good Luck.

27-1-2015 20:56:53  #4

It says I have to post 2x before including a link .... hopefully this counts as #2

27-1-2015 20:57:28  #5

Hopefully you can see here that I have both the top (round hook) and bottom (little bar) portions of the hinges... It's the tiny triangle in the center of each which is missing on the one side.... 

Uwe wrote:

you're missing a part of this hinge?

This is the part I was refering to (appologies for the yarn in the background)

This is the one side ... 

... the other looks like this(taken from the inside)   

When I said "special order" I was refering to scouring the internet for the appropriate spare parts & pieces. I imagine the screw would have to be pretty shallow. Of course, I bought it for the typewriter inside it (not the case) but if I can find a way to fix it (if only to better protect its inner contents) it'd definitely be a bonus.

Last edited by TheCatholicCrow (27-1-2015 20:59:24)

28-1-2015 11:43:43  #6

Here's my advice. From your photo it doesn't appear that your case is in the greatest condition - most of them aren't - so I wouldn't waste any time trying to find one small part from a very specific hinge. These hinges allowed the top of the case to be detatched so that you can use the typewriter while it is still mounted inside of the other half, which is something that I personally never do. If it were me I would drill out the rivets holding the original hinges in place and buy two new ordinary hinges to replace them with. It's not a very difficult job, and since they'll match they won't look odd.

If you had a pristine - as in new condition - case and typewriter I could see making an effort to find a replacement part from another case, but in this case (no pun intended) I think the required effort would quickly outstrip its worth.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-1-2015 12:57:38  #7

Thanks- I'll do that. 

Board footera